Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
My 453 and I drove on a off ramp a bit higher than the posted 25 mph , the rumble strips in the midst of the turn activated the brake control?, I felt some weird auto correcting going on and didn’t touch the brakes . I believe I heard some application of the brakes ? Was I imagining or is this how the system works . At no point did the car feel like it was losing control , but it surely was barely managing to do so . (So I think) .

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Yea... if you take a corner too fast, or it detects a difference in wheel speed/traction between the tires, it'll automatically apply whichever brakes are needed to correct for it. Get this pretty often during the winter months if you're only running two snow tires on the rears. Can be a bit jarring, especially the first time it happens.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need to find an abandoned parking lot and try some autocross maneuvers to get a better feel of the characteristics the system employs.

·
Registered
922 Posts
The best way to learn high speed control of a vehicle is to attend an instructed track session. There are increasing numbers of these types of events that will give you an hour or more of instructed track time, with loaner helmets and classroom time as well, for less than $200. Well worth it, because when someone teaches you how to drive correctly, you will have more and safer enjoyment of every car you drive.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would like to learn some driving techniques in a closed course setting . I’ll do some research on that to see what’s available locally . I’m close to the poconos , I remember that Bondurant driving school would have classes at the raceway in the past , not sure if that continues .

·
Registered
922 Posts
There is a performance driving clinic run by Bertil Roos Racing School on June 18th, along with many other similar events at Pocono. I found that info on Pocono's facebook page. It's scary the first time or two out but also so addicting. I did my first driving event around 30 years ago when I thought I was a pretty decent driver, and there was more I didn't know than things I knew that were actually correct. I've been hooked ever since and try to do a couple of events or more every year, and I learn stuff every time out.

It will also you if you like to mod you car. Instead of just sticking parts on hoping for better handling, you'll get to know what handling characteristics you prefer and which mods help get you there along with what mods to avoid. You'll even find your tires last longer as you're smoother but still faster and safer driving on the streets.

I hope it works out that you can make one of these events. I'm absolutely sure you'll love it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts