Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got Smart Car back and she is running pretty good, only thing I am concerned about is gas consumption.
I sent it up there with a full tank of gas and my trip meter said 78miles, when I got it back it said 194 and I am down to only two bars in gas...average speed was 45...it also says 46miles per gallon average, if that is so should I not get about 300 miles to a full tank?
What is left in the tank sure does not look like another 106miles does it?
Question is this...How is gas mileage for you all?

So happy to have her back.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
2 bars as in 1/4 tank? If so, that doesn't seem too far off to me. Where did you send it, and for what?

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Don‘t base any assumptions on gas mileage on just that one tank and numbers from readout. Do the math by hand on at least 3 tanks that you have driven. Yes, you may well get 300 miles per tank from full to low warning but, if I were you, I’d fill up a bit before that. The tank on a 451 smart holds 10 gallons total, including low reserve.

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
Figure you fuel economy tank to tank fill up. How many miles, you achieved from that. Average fuel Economy. If you driven 300 mile divide that by how many gallons. You fill it up with.

Example 300 miles on the Trip odometer, divided by 8 gallons fill up the tank. Would equal 37.5 miles per gallon.

Here are some averages...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2 bars as in 1/4 tank? If so, that doesn't seem too far off to me. Where did you send it, and for what?

Is not one bar 1/4 tank and two bars would be a bit more right? I forgot to say it is a 2016 and I think it holds about 8 gallons

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Figure you fuel economy tank to tank fill up. How many miles, you achieved from that. Average fuel Economy. If you driven 300 mile divide that by how many gallons. You fill it up with.

Example 300 miles on the Trip odometer, divided by 8 gallons fill up the tank. Would equal 37.5 miles per gallon.

Here are some averages...

This is the 2nd fill up, first one was about 178 miles on a full tank and one bar left...this one was a full tank and now down to 2 bars.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I am in Ohio near Youngstown and they sent it up to Mercedes in Bedford Ohio near Cleveland and they replaced many parts. I know to put premium in as the idiots originally filled it with regular.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am in Ohio near Youngstown and they sent it up to Mercedes in Bedford Ohio near Cleveland and they replaced many parts. I know to put premium in as the idiots originally filled it with regular.
Forgot...they never gave me a read out as to what they replaced or what the codes were...will call them tomorrow and see...the first part replaced was an oxygen sensor after that I have no idea.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Is not one bar 1/4 tank and two bars would be a bit more right? I forgot to say it is a 2016 and I think it holds about 8 gallons
Forgot it’s a 2016 and, yes, supposedly our tanks hold 8.7 gallons but some say they can put more in theirs. By the long term readout I average 40-42 mpg year round. It’s rare to get 300 miles/tank but possible depending on where and how you drive. Some think that when the gauge reads “0” miles remaining on the reserve there is still a gallon or so of fuel remaining to keep the submersed fuel pump cool. BTW, the fuel gauge is not linear. Each mark will not result in the same number of miles. You will see after a few fills.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
The fuel gauge on the Smart (think both the 451 and 453) is separated into 8 bars. 2 bars per 1/4 tank, so each bar is roughly 1/8 of the tank.

Like others said, don't just go by one fill up. A bit less fuel pumped into the tank can still show the tank as full for a short time. The 453 (2016 or newer) supposedly has an 8.7 gallon tank. Since the beginning, though, there seem to be inconsistencies from one car to the next. Even with the supposed "fix" for the issue, since people seem to be able to get more fuel in the tank than others.

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
I wouldn’t worry about the fuel gauge bars. Just keep track of you fuel economy tank to tank. That’s all that’s important. Who really knows, which bar, and how many gallons they represent.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I wouldn’t worry about the fuel gauge bars. Just keep track of you fuel economy tank to tank. That’s all that’s important. Who really knows, which bar, and how many gallons they represent.
I usually don't pay all that much attention to them, but knowing your car can also help you figure out about how many miles you go until it starts telling you your fuel level is low. Sometimes you can even tell if you might get more or less than your usual miles on a full tank based on how long it takes that first bar to go away.

Still nowhere near definitive, but they're a decent baseline.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The 453 will 'chime' when it's low on fuel and at the bottom right corner it will display '0.8gal' to '1.2gal' remaining.
Just put in your mind that you have 35 miles to get to a gas station when your low fuel warning comes up.

I get 350 miles plus per tank with a around a 36 mpg tank average (3rd screen down).
I only run E0 91 though (10% more gas, and correspondingly 10% more mileage).

Here is a list of 100% gas (stations) :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Forgot it’s a 2016 and, yes, supposedly our tanks hold 8.7 gallons but some say they can put more in theirs. By the long term readout I average 40-42 mpg year round. It’s rare to get 300 miles/tank but possible depending on where and how you drive. Some think that when the gauge reads “0” miles remaining on the reserve there is still a gallon or so of fuel remaining to keep the submersed fuel pump cool. BTW, the fuel gauge is not linear. Each mark will not result in the same number of miles. You will see after a few fills.
Thanks for the answer and explanation...you people are great with so much info.
I am not really worried about less miles, although I would love better, I am just concerned about how often I have to fill it up.
But once the newness wears off I will be driving less and doing what I used to do, drive when I needed to and not just for fun LOL

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 453 will 'chime' when it's low on fuel and at the bottom right corner it will display '0.8gal' to '1.2gal' remaining.
Just put in your mind that you have 35 miles to get to a gas station when your low fuel warning comes up.

I get 350 miles plus per tank with a around a 36 mpg tank average (3rd screen down).
I only run E0 91 though (10% more gas, and correspondingly 10% more mileage).

Here is a list of 100% gas (stations) :)
I am running 93, is that good?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
THat's what the gas cover says.
I am just hoping with what Mercedes replaced on the engine that it increases my fuel consumption, because my first full tank only got 167 miles. And it was running real rough...she idles nice now and takes off with no hesitation. So happy so far.

·
Registered
183 Posts
All 453's had wacky fuel level readings as new. The warranty program replaced many fuel tanks, including mine. It now reads a bit more real, but still non-linear. One learns to live with it.

300 mi/tank is stretching it, the way I drive. That is possible if you are easy on the right pedal, tho.

Mine gets 50+ @ 55mph, but that speed will get you hit on a freeway.

SR

1 - 20 of 39 Posts