Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Smart Fortwo Pure, silver and black, all factory no mods.
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all and thank you for such a nice forum to come together for all things Smart. I'm a 41 year old mechanic from Indianapolis, IN. I picked up a gloss silver and black 2016 Smart Fortwo Pure with 72,000 miles. It is in fantastic condition with the obvious road marks upon close inspection. So far everything functions as intended and I love this car. One thing I will be changing soon will be the stereo head unit. I'm just too accustomed to a touch screen navigation. I'm in hopes that one of the overly large 10" or 13" Android head units from Aliexpress will work and not cause any issues. The GoPedal is also in my sights as well but for now I need to just drive and adjust to how this car feels first. Anyway that's enough of my rambling. I'm very excited to be here and to hear all your recommendations.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, I must admit that it is quite rare to see a Smart in the wild here on the west side of Indy. I don't recall ever seeing a 453 around here actually. In all honesty I didn't know that body style existed until mid March this year. I have always admired and desired a Smart ever since the day I sat in one during a neighborhood garage sale. An older couple was perusing the garage sales in one and I asked them if I could stick my head in the window and have a look. He smiled and so no come over here and sit in it. He then began to tell me that him and his wife just returned from a trip to Florida in the little Smart. I was a bit shocked but then when he explained that he was a life long motorcycle rider...that's when it all connected for me because I had lived and breathed motorcycles my whole life. I realized then how silly it was to write off a Smart for it's supposed lack of road trip worthiness. Seeing as I was comfortable taking long trips on my almost 200hp Kawasaki ZX14 while being exposed to all the elements including bare asphalt, well it's absurd to scoff at the Smart when using that perspective (I can talk myself in to anything). Anyway, I was instantly enamoured by the surprisingly spacious interior and clean lines of the exterior. That was probably 8 years ago. Fast forward to March 2021 and I found myself desiring a somewhat newer vehicle and more or less needing something fairly inexpensive to finance to get my credit moving again. I hadn't used any credit in over ten years so my score went blank. I was looking at a few used Ford Transit Connects when a 453 popped up in my recommended search. I was instantly intrigued but admittedly slightly put off because it wasn't exactly as I remembered so fondly years before. I did more research and a test drive and giggled my way home with my new to me 2016 Smart.

The only concern I have is a slight shudder or vibration between 60-75 mph, not aggressive at all but sometimes noticeable. I more or less wrote it off in my head as a consequence of such a short wheelbase, but it makes me wonder if that is the general consensus. It had brand new dealer installed rear tires and supposedly used front tires but they look completely brand new, still have stubs from the new tire nipples. Front end feels tight and it tracks perfectly straight.

·
Registered
183 Posts
A 453 is a great car, other than door rubber leaks, A/C problems, goofy gas gauge.

Ours is a '16 Passion 5-speed with 47K on the clock. Comfy, quick & nimble.

The 453 is rare, even around the Phoenix metro.

S u b R o s a

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Hello all and thank you for such a nice forum to come together for all things Smart. I'm a 41 year old mechanic from Indianapolis, IN. I picked up a gloss silver and black 2016 Smart Fortwo Pure with 72,000 miles. It is in fantastic condition with the obvious road marks upon close inspection. So far everything functions as intended and I love this car. One thing I will be changing soon will be the stereo head unit. I'm just too accustomed to a touch screen navigation. I'm in hopes that one of the overly large 10" or 13" Android head units from Aliexpress will work and not cause any issues. The GoPedal is also in my sights as well but for now I need to just drive and adjust to how this car feels first. Anyway that's enough of my rambling. I'm very excited to be here and to hear all your recommendations.
Welcome!!🙂

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A 453 is a great car, other than door rubber leaks, A/C problems, goofy gas gauge.

Ours is a '16 Passion 5-speed with 47K on the clock. Comfy, quick & nimble.

The 453 is rare, even around the Phoenix metro.

S u b R o s a
I'm curious if it is a consequence of such a short wheelbase that I get a slight shutter or vibration at times between 60-75mph? Is this a common trait or is this something I should dig deeper in to? Tires all look perfectly new with no cupping felt by hand. I could try and have the front tires balanced.

Also, may I ask what the A/C issues are you're speaking of?

·
Registered
209 Posts
The slight vibration is probably wheel related.
The wheels on your car are not stock; see here:

A subscription to evilution is highly suggested; especially for avoiding the MB dealer$hip if you have mechanical skills :)

In this particular case; pull a lug bolt and see if it has a radius seat or conical seat.
Most aftermarket wheel 'lug bolt holes' come with a conical taper and that taper may not match the oem lug bolt taper.
A fix may be swapping to radius seat lug bolts...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The slight vibration is probably wheel related.
The wheels on your car are not stock; see here:

A subscription to evilution is highly suggested; especially for avoiding the MB dealer$hip if you have mechanical skills :)

In this particular case; pull a lug bolt and see if it has a radius seat or conical seat.
Most aftermarket wheel 'lug bolt holes' come with a conical taper and that taper may not match the oem lug bolt taper.
A fix may be swapping to radius seat lug bolts...
Thank you very much. I'll check out Evilution and I'll walk outside now with my impact and check a lug and seat. Didn't even ponder different types of lugs. I knew the wheels were aftermarket and ironically enough I spent a few hours searching online for a wheel manufacturer with an uppercase "U" on the center cap. I found nothing. Maybe my googlefu is weak. It crossed my mind that a wheel may be out of balance. I don't have a clue where they were made or by who.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Fixed under warranty on our '16:

Compressor
Condenser
All tubing from front to rear
Both charging ports
High pressure switch

SR

1 - 11 of 11 Posts