Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I first fell in love with the Factory Five Racing products way back when.The roadster was the one but then in 2013 the 818S came into production and I really liked it....so much so that I've talked to anybody I knew about some day owning one.... well that day was last Wednesday 8/2 when an FFR forum member placed his beautifully built 818S for sale in New York a 2:45 pm... that night I registered to the forum trying to get in contact with him, on Thursday morning I found out that all new comers are placed in quarantine until clear by the administrator... contacted him and asked to have my introduction expedited so that a deal could be reached and he did. By mid day Thursday contacted the seller via pm on the forum and in my rush to do so I failed big time by omitting the last number of my phone.
Home at 5pm after work and checked the forum and found a message with seller's phone... called him right away and the deal was made. Friday at 5pm left Indy for New Yor and at 4 pm Saturday it was on the trailer heading back home and safely in my garage Sunday at 4 pm.
Let it be known that I have never seen an 818 in my life, not just this one, any 818, but I have always known that the 818S was what I wanted since its introduction.
Friday got my temporary plate and out for a drive in a non controlled airport....what a blast..now waiting for the personalized plate arrive....

Jetfuel...let the fun begin....

Pictures to follow

·
Registered
80 Posts
Congrats I personally love the car. I am 21 and I have always wanted stuff no one has had which is how I ended up with my tailor made cocoa brabus smart and most recently a new can am spyder f3s. Maybe you can answer some stuff for me. What engine or donor car was used for yours? And my most important question is what does it insure as once the build is complete? (Kit car, Replica car, Or does it retain its original vehicles vin status) Being 21 years old insurance companies could have a field day with me but I have seen quite a few for decent prices.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Jetfuel, congrats on the 818! I've seen a few of those around and including one that regularly sees track time. Enjoy!

lordpaige, I think the kit is designed around a WRX donor car and I don't know that it can be easily retrofitted to another chassis. The few that I've seen have that typical Subie sound.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I appreciate the reply and I know a couple that are built without that wrx donor car but I know it is the most popular. I just want to know what I would have to insure it as. Would it fall under a sports car is my main problem. It is what has been holding me back from purchasing a porsche 911 here in California as my full coverage would easily be over 300 a month since I am not 25 yet. It seems like everyone has a different answer.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys...the 818S or R or C are specific to Subaru donors 2002-2007....be it WRX or Impreza base coupe or wagon... the numbers are stupid crazy for a boxer engine...
..with 270 HP it will do 0-60 in 3.8 sec and 0-100 in 9.9 sec..
...this particular one is 2.5L with some mods...a ATP Garrett GTX 3071 ball bearing turbo that developed 321 HP and 308 ft/lbs at 14psi or 349HP 340 ft/lbs at 20 psi...water to air intercooler...Tomei wrapped equal length headers dumping into 3.5 stainless Borla exhaust and 3.5 XRI muffler...and many more mods way tooooo long to list..
...insurance will be based on the 06 Subaru donor...

Jetfuel....writing and drooling.....

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,180 Posts
I appreciate the reply and I know a couple that are built without that wrx donor car but I know it is the most popular. I just want to know what I would have to insure it as. Would it fall under a sports car is my main problem. It is what has been holding me back from purchasing a porsche 911 here in California as my full coverage would easily be over 300 a month since I am not 25 yet. It seems like everyone has a different answer.
I have a Honda motorcycle powered three wheel replicar(looks like a Morgan) and it is registered and insured as the donor vehicle, 1983 Honda CX650. I am in Florida, can't speak for other states.

·
Registered
807 Posts
TAHNKS MM for posting the pics...already modified a few things...

Jetfuel....had to...
Never heard of Factory Five Racing, that being said if I found a roadster for sale like the one in the above pictures, there would be another smart on the market.
That looks like a fun car.
Jetfuel great score!!!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Never heard of Factory Five Racing, that being said if I found a roadster for sale like the one in the above pictures, there would be another smart on the market.
That looks like a fun car.
Jetfuel great score!!!
They come up for sale moderately often - you can peruse the FFR forum to find them. You can even see the one that Jetfuel bought, but here's one that's available now:

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?28209-Factory-Five-818S-For-Sale

1 - 11 of 11 Posts