Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may or may not look to finance the smart when "my" or an alternate becomes available. For those who deal with Navy Federal Credit Union, they can advance a pre-approved loan, essentially a letter-of-credit, which the member can use in total or just any smaller part of it. It will be good for 60-days, after which it can be extended if justified. If not extended before 60-days it will expire, but a follow-on can be requested. Good to have in one

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have gotten pre approved the last two cars I have purchased. That way, when the dealer tries to pull that garbage about how your credit score isn't good enough, say 1000 or better and they can only finance you for some ridiculous 15% interest, then you can tell them to go jump in a lake. When you have proof in hand, they start to crab leg backward and get real flexible with their financing.

The last vehicle I purchased, I financed through Mazda credit due ot the extra rebate tied to the financing and then 60 days later refinanced to a lower interest rate at my credit union.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Will have low cost financing in my pocket when I am ready to sign the papers. Will finance if the rate is lower than paid by my money market, if not will pay cash

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, my first option will be cash. But I may have the pre-paid on standby anyway. BTW, USAA's equivalent isn't as good as NFCU's (45-days non-extendable vice 60 extendable, and 4.94% vice 3.50%).

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I never discuss financing until the price is agreed on. The dealers make some override (read kick back) on the financing and consider that extra profit when negotiating. Since we're not dickering over price on the smart, just get your best financing deal done before you walk into the dealer. And try to get the price set before you walk in as well. That keeps you in control, once you are in their playground, you lose that control over the process.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts