Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Give pple the illusion that they are driving a race car.

I cringe every time I see a race-like tow hook on a street car equipped with mega boombox + PS3 + ground EFX lighting + hot babe. Where are you racing to? How many starters? Where's the finishing line? Is it green flag now or double-yellow? Who's leading? How many pitstops you making? Are you carry full fuel load or half or quarter?
The next accessory to have is a fire extinguisher. Preferably AFFF. The really hardcore ones will have pull-cables, E-switches and nozzles near the driver and in the engine bay. Then there will still be a mega boombox + PS3 + ground EFX lighting + hot babe.

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
..OK ..I own up to it..I do have a extinguisher in the smart..hope to never have to use it but it's there for anyone who needs it...

jetfuel

·
Registered
1,422 Posts

The next accessory to have is a fire extinguisher.

I do have fire extinguisher in the tailgate of my smart. Nothing fancy, just plain small auto fire extinguisher. Also Firs Aid Kit and basic roadside items like Safety triangle, tire repair kit, orange safety vest, flashlight, etc. In country where I from originally, fire extinguisher and first aid kit MUST be in ANY registered vehicle. When traffic cop pulling you over he will check your car, and if you do not have those items you will be ticketed.
I have it in all my cars. Once I stopped on the side of the road and helped to extinguish small engine fire on the stranded car.

CUBE

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Wow, two people have owned up to having fire extinguishers on board ... and we haven't even heard from the one I was thinking of, yet.
It's not a bad idea really. Just like having a couple around the house is a good idea. Although I don't, yet.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
OK! I did a 16 hour day at work! It was I he was thinking of. I had the fire extinguisher in my car at a show and NCC saw it :p. That is the make it or break it point buster at car shows. Safety items like fire extinguishers and first aid kids.

As far as the original question.....I dunno. Good question.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had a Halon Fire entinguisher in my first car. driving down the street one day the battery hold down strap popped off one side and swung onto the positive terminal. Immediately melting one of the batt cables and starting an engine fire...While I was driving!! Pulled over, opened the hood which fammed the flames even more. Extinguished the fire with the Halon, saving the car!!. It's pretty expensive to buy a Halon extinguisher now a days but if you take an older one to a Fire Suppression shop, they may re new it, certify it and fill it with halon for you. Definitely the cleanest way to shut down an electrical fire. I'll definitely get one in the smart at some point.

·
Premium Member
2,903 Posts
I've have one in all my other cars. I guess I better get on the ball and figure out where I can store one. Any suggestions from those already carrying?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Mine fits in the tailgate.

This is an old photo, my jumper cables now live under the passenger seat. Apparently if your battery is dead you will not be able to access your tailgate. :eek:

CUBE

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
I Had a Girlfriend in High school that shared a Beater Pacer with her sister.

One day something under the hood started on fire. A guy came up with his fire extingusher and put it out.

She was pissed. SHe was then stuck with an old beater Pacer with some fire damage rather than just letting it go to the graveyard.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
That's funny. I'll have to ask ahead of time if someone wants me to extinguish their car fire.

I have an extinguisher as well as flares and some other safety stuff. Comes with being a volunteer FF. Of course, something could go terribly wrong with the flares. Then I'd need a fire extinguisher for sure!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Damn...so this is where my thread split off!

Well, just to clarify there is of course a difference between having a fire extinguisher for safety reasons vs having a fire extinguisher for showing off reason. If I can see your extinguisher zip-tied to your fake roll bar, or interior A/B pillar a mile away and:

1. you're not in your helmet + HANs,
2. you're not on the race track,
3. there are no corner workers nearby,

then that's showing off.

If you have it for safety reasons, by all means. Just a thought, BMW has a solution to this extinguisher storage, ie under the seat:

Another pic: http://www.tmk.com/bmw/6F5S0476-l.jpg

Same idea when I installed the BMW storage box under the seat here:
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/88966-post1.html

In fact that storage box is a first aid kit box. The original idea was to have the kit on the passenger's side and the extinguisher on the driver's side.

IMO, if anything happens while driving, the extinguisher has to be within immediate reach.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Damn...so this is where my thread split off!

Well, just to clarify there is of course a difference between having a fire extinguisher for safety reasons vs having a fire extinguisher for showing off reason. If I can see your extinguisher zip-tied to your fake roll bar, or interior A/B pillar a mile away and:

1. you're not in your helmet + HANs,
2. you're not on the race track,
3. there are no corner workers nearby,

then that's showing off.

If you have it for safety reasons, by all means. Just a thought, BMW has a solution to this extinguisher storage, ie under the seat:

Another pic: http://www.tmk.com/bmw/6F5S0476-l.jpg

Same idea when I installed the BMW storage box under the seat here:
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/88966-post1.html

In fact that storage box is a first aid kit box. The original idea was to have the kit on the passenger's side and the extinguisher on the driver's side.

IMO, if anything happens while driving, the extinguisher has to be within immediate reach.

Nice find, after my fire extinguisher expire, I will pick up one of those.
Thank you!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts