Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I've been shopping online for a fire extinguisher for auto use.

From every unit I've checked out, it seems the maximum storage temperature, even on units sold as for automobile use, is 120°F. Well, I know from actual measurement that 140° is easily reached inside a car in the sun on a hot day.

Are there fire extinguishers I've not stumbled upon which can safely take 140° in storage?

·
Registered
347 Posts
The temp must not matter all that much to most, as so many street rods, sidecars and vintage autos all have them in them these days. You may check out Speedway or some street rod site to find such, as they do have tons of folk who put them into their cars. Even a local fire station firman may know exactly who supplies such to meet your temp needs best. Good luck on finding what your seeking.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They're probably being conservative on their temperature range statement. CYA in case one blows up at 130°. I'd feel better if they were realistic. Doughnuts for the firemen, ya say? LOL.

Chief, what did they give for an upper limit on yours? Probably 120 like the rest I've checked.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Fire Inspector made me change out an extinguisher with plastic nozzle and such on the head - something about when things get hot, metal may still be there . . .

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
They're probably being conservative on their temperature range statement. CYA in case one blows up at 130°. I'd feel better if they were realistic. Doughnuts for the firemen, ya say? LOL.

Chief, what did they give for an upper limit on yours? Probably 120 like the rest I've checked.
Like Jim, never looked at it :D

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
My wife booked a little vacation first couple of nights in Rancho Mirage and then now a couple of nights in La Quinta. I accidentally forgot a DVD in a DVD player in the car, and was worried it had melted in the heat. Went out at around 5 am and it ejected just fine. The car was parked next to a tree and has some shade, plus have a windshield sunshade.

I think 120 F seems enough. Pretty darn close to 120, read 117 on the outside temp gauge when we changed cities yesterday...

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Well, as an update. I'm afraid I may have been mistaken about 120 F being enough. Spoke to a 40+ yr. resident, (all her life,) and she said it gets into the 120s late July or early August. At those temps I wouldn't mind if the fire extinguisher just blew and took me with it!

Hopefully, though, on a more serious note. I would hope that the enclosure of the vehicle shell would provide some sort of protection from the ambient temps and prevent exposure to such high temps. Any type of shade has been a blessing when we were outside!!!!

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would hope that the enclosure of the vehicle shell would provide some sort of protection from the ambient temps and prevent exposure to such high temps. Any type of shade has been a blessing when we were outside!!!!
The greenhouse effect. It's not something invented by environmental wackos. The interior temperature of a vehicle in sunlight can be expected to be much higher than the ambient temperature, whether that be 20° or 120°. I have had plastic objects literally deform in an enclosed vehicle.

Thus, the reason for this thread.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I've heard from various reliable sources that fire extinguishers should be whacked with a wooden or rubber mallet on the sides near the bottom.
Apparently the powder cakes up and then the extinguisher's performance is compromised.
It's a cheap insurance because even when the gauge shows that there's plenty of pressure it may not mean much.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've heard from various reliable sources that fire extinguishers should be whacked with a wooden or rubber mallet on the sides near the bottom.
I'm quite sure that wouldn't be wise when the contents of that extinguisher were at 140°+

1 - 20 of 23 Posts