Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m broken hearted and still waiting to find out what the ultimate destiny will be for my 2016 that caught on fire due to wire harness fire. Anyone have any experience with such an incident?:crying:

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Isn’t it still under warranty?
I'm going to say that there's probably no chance that a dealership would even attempt to touch it. Seeing as angiepc said that the car caught fire due to a wire harness issue, I wouldn't be surprised if the insurance company deems it totaled and completely writes it off. Same thing happened to one truck my dad owned. Brother came to pick it up, since it had a plow and wanted to use it to clear the snow. He started the truck to let it warm up a little (was a 2009 Dodge Ram with a diesel engine and dual rear wheels), and then got some other stuff together. Went back to the truck, and the inside was filled with smoke, passenger side of the dashboard was melted and kind of caving in.

Think generally if a car catches fire, especially if it's due to wiring failure, they tend to total the car, because the odds of the cost to figure out what went wrong, completely tear the car apart and replace whatever would need replacing, and put everything back together would FAR surpass what the vehicle is worth. Not to mention, especially with a wiring fault, who knows what else might have been potentially fried if some wires got crossed that shouldn't have been crossed. Could kill basically anything electronic, including the ECU.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
I'm going to say that there's probably no chance that a dealership would even attempt to touch it. Seeing as angiepc said that the car caught fire due to a wire harness issue, I wouldn't be surprised if the insurance company deems it totaled and completely writes it off. Same thing happened to one truck my dad owned. Brother came to pick it up, since it had a plow and wanted to use it to clear the snow. He started the truck to let it warm up a little (was a 2009 Dodge Ram with a diesel engine and dual rear wheels), and then got some other stuff together. Went back to the truck, and the inside was filled with smoke, passenger side of the dashboard was melted and kind of caving in.

Think generally if a car catches fire, especially if it's due to wiring failure, they tend to total the car, because the odds of the cost to figure out what went wrong, completely tear the car apart and replace whatever would need replacing, and put everything back together would FAR surpass what the vehicle is worth. Not to mention, especially with a wiring fault, who knows what else might have been potentially fried if some wires got crossed that shouldn't have been crossed. Could kill basically anything electronic, including the ECU.
A faulty wire harness, is cover under the factory warranty. Did you even contact, the smart dealership? You car, is a 2016 model. With one year left on the factory warranty. MB needs to know about the defect.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
A faulty wire harness, is cover under the factory warranty. Did you even contact, the smart dealership? You car, is a 2016 model. With one year left on the factory warranty. MB needs to know about the defect.
I'm not saying it wouldn't be covered. I'm saying if that harness caused an actual fire in the car, warranty coverage is a bit useless.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts