Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my fellow smart friends,
finally a Central Texas Cruise. An Austin meet-n-drive. The first one! Saturday July 19th. We'll meet on the deck of Central Market North (CM) at 10am, chat-n-snack a little, then drive. We have a terrific photo op planned for our short drive (send me a private email and I'll divulge the secret). We'll drive a little around Austin, see and be seen by the natives then end the ride at CM (or nearby school parking lot, still in negotiations) for the last photo op with all the smarties. To entice my fellow Austinites, Pflugervillians, Round Rockians, Georgetownians, and those in other outlying areas, I have asked RR smart Center to donate a piece of smart merchandise for a drawing giveaway (all participating smart driver's names in a hat and one drawn for the prize). Please RSVP to this thread, or Rmichael1 on this site, or to [email protected]. If you don't have your smartie yet, I suggest you RSVP, come on down and meet everyone and maybe hitch a ride with a smart owner for the drive.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would come along and take some photos but I already have plans for another automotive event that day. I hope y'all have a good turn out though. I'll let my friend with a Smart know about it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would come along and take some photos but I already have plans for another automotive event that day. I hope y'all have a good turn out though. I'll let my friend with a Smart know about it.
Too bad you can't come TexasMike! We have some great Photo ops planned AND we sure appreciate it if you could spread the smart word in Central Texas!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
July 19th is the same date as the Mike-In-SA's planned meet!

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f48/austin-summer-ride-10714/#post102562

Mike-In-SA is a great guy and would drive to Austin to be at your meet, so you might want to consider an alternate date!
We can still change the date if people request it. I kinda thought that having them on the same day would allow those of us in the Austin area (or further north) to participate in a ride at the same time as SA. At the time, I thought that sounded cool. 5 smarts have confirmed our ride, we could still change it if a bunch of San Antonians (is that right?) wanted to drive with us.

The Austin ride is gonna be kinda cool with a great photo op BUT it won't be a long drive and we can always do this one again if it's successful. I would LOVE to ride with SA whenever possible. With 4 kids I needed to create something that I could be involved in that was a little closer to home.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I 'm not the one putting on the SA drive, but I'm the one talking it up. I don't have a problem with them on the same dates, as long as we have more on other dates. I'd love to go to an Austin event (closer than Houston). These first events will be good practice for bigger better things. But I am a great guy.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great guys, great cars

I 'm not the one putting on the SA drive, but I'm the one talking it up. I don't have a problem with them on the same dates, as long as we have more on other dates. I'd love to go to an Austin event (closer than Houston). These first events will be good practice for bigger better things. But I am a great guy.
That's great! I didn't wanna step on anyone's toes. So far we have 5 smarties confirmed, 1 maybe, and 3 next time. I'm sure we can do rides together in the future and I'll be sure not to plan a drive on the same day again.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Come on people! We have 7 smart cars confirmed for our 1st meet-n-drive with 3 other maybes. Let's show 'em what we got and get 20 smarts out next weekend! As you can see our destination (taken today on my test run) is to the motherland!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Dang, even though I don't yet have my Smart, I'd have gone to this, except I'll be out of the country (on a much needed vacation). But rest assured I'll be at the next one, Smart or no Smart! I hope you have a great turnout. Take and post lots of pictures.

Once I have my Smart I'm organizing a meet-n-drive in Lockhart -- drive around the area through many of the local small towns, then eat BBQ at the official BBQ Capital of Texas, then out to our ranch, Tiki Acres, for a mai tai!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We have 9 smart cars confirmed for the ride on the 19th. Very cool. About 5 other smart cars are outta state, even outta the country, on that day. We'll be planning our next drive on the 19th so send your suggestions!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WOW! I can hardly contain my excitement. We have 14 smart cars confirmed for our first meet AND one of them is a 2006 European Passion. This is turning out to be a GREAT event. I'm sure further events will be even better as we will have MASSIVE input from others (as opposed to little old me). That's right, massive. If your coming to the event I will be the guy at CM holding the smart umbrella come rain or come shine. If parking is available by the deck I will be standing by my smart too.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: We have 19 smart cars confirmed for our meet-n-drive. I hope everyone actually shows up 'cause that will be sweet! See ya tomorrow!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I haven't got my smart yet, but would like to tag along for a bit to see how they are in the real world.

I'm taking delivery of a passion coupe in New York on August 9th, then driving it across the country for a documentary film:

www.smarttrip08.com

I've already got my camera gear, so I may come by to practice shooting. Look forward to seeing you all. - Peter

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello friends, I currently on 5 smart cars and I looking to start a club here in Houston. I also create a smart club in facebook called SMART CARS U.S. and you all welcome to visit it and join it. Please, e-mail me if you are interest in joining smart car here in Houston .

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We did it! 24 smart cars made it our meeting place and 23 to the first stop and our first Photo op!
We'll be starting a local club and doing many more fun runs in the future. You shoulda seen 23 smart cars driving down "the drag" but the University of Texas! It was so cool. We'll have video to share too since we have a documentary maker (docublogger) hitch a ride with one of our smarts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Video Is Up on YouTube

Hello All,
Here's a rough cut from yesterday's meet:

youtube.com/watch?v=xoVQYT9YFSI

Thank you all for letting me tag along. The footage on YouTube is compressed and a bit grainy, but in its native HD format, it looks awesome.

Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts