Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to go from Wichita, KS to Enid, OK and back for some corporate indoctrination - and of course, February in the Midwest - in snowed. First let me start off by saying - in the 3 to 4 inch range, I had absolutely no issues, the car was stable on the snowpacked and icy roads, I didn't slide around everywhere, I didn't spin tires on the icy hotel parking lot, I was pleasantly surprised. The only downside - when I got home to Wichita, lets just say our residential areas have not been plowed or really driven on much as most of the town has been shut down for several days. I got stuck on the road entering my neighborhood, the ruts created by the overcompensators in around here made it a mess. In my car's defense - we have over 9 inches of snow on the ground and a saw a car a lot bigger than mine get stuck as well. A couple of good Samaritans pushed me over the deep stuff and I made it home safely. Another upside, it is a lot easier to find people willing to help push a car when it weighs less than a ton...LOL :wink:

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
My exact experience !!

Came home after the LAST big snow (800 mile trip) only to get stuck about 50 ft. from my driveway !!!

Great neighbors, though :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
So far our area has received about 31 inches ( not at once ). Found the Little Guy handles 1 to 5 fine but 6 or more set and have a extra coffee or two till they plow the roads. This last ice storm was interesting to say the least. Studded tires would have been nice.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
So far our area has received about 31 inches ( not at once ). Found the Little Guy handles 1 to 5 fine but 6 or more set and have a extra coffee or two till they plow the roads. This last ice storm was interesting to say the least. Studded tires would have been nice.
Plow .... what's a plow ??? Non-existent in my neighborhood !!

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I'm on my 6th winter with my smart. I've only ever had it truely stuck once, and I can't blame the car. I drove somewhere I shouldn't have.

I have pushed snow deep enough that I could see my fog light disappear in the snow. Overall, I can't complain about its winter performance. It always gets me to work and back. I really enjoy waving at all the overcompensators stuck in the ditch when I drive by them.

Slow and steady all winter long...>:D

·
Registered
109 Posts
A constant thread on this board is about how other drivers pick on Smart drivers. How do you think you would feel if you were stuck and others drove past and waved? I wonder how much of the "picking on" is deserved because of bad behavior.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I, too, love driving my smart through the winter. I admit, when we bought the car back in April, I was very hesitant about it being rear wheel drive, and wouldn't spend any more money on it other than a K&N filter. Not even tint, and summers in eastern Oregon can get pretty toasty...
Our first serious snowfall in town and I was out and about, looking for trouble. Was very impressed with the handling and grip. And then the trip to work-50 miles over a notorious mountain (google "Cabbage Hill", you'll see what I mean).
Thing drove like a tank. No other vehicle other than the wife's alltrack Previa with studs handles this well. My only downfall this far was exiting the freeway at 45 onto an unplowed off ramp. That was truly horrifying, but after sledding to a stop, I settled through the snow, and continued on. I love this car!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
17,350 Posts
The Continentals my car first came with were pretty awesome in the snow. I could go through stuff other small cars (and even sedans) would get stuck in. The thing was like a freight train in the snow. I drove it in whiteout snowfall with incredible ease. It even handled ice pretty okay.

Then even before the winter, in the summer I took the car on multiple beach adventures, going places I'd expect no smart to go. The Continentals handled wet sand like a champ too.

The only problem with the Contis was that the wear rate on them was unacceptable. Down to 50% in just 19,000 miles? Nah, son... :D

I then switched up to Blizzak WS60 tyres. If you've never driven on snow tyres before these things would be like black magic to you. Those things made snow seem like dry ground and ice seem like regular wet ground. I had so much traction I could've turned my car into a snow plow.

But, the WS60s were too wobbly and loud on dry ground for my tastes, so I went and traded them in for Kumho Ecsta AST tyres.

That was the worst auto related mistake I've ever made. The Kumhos suck in the snow with a capital S and an exclamation point. I've gotten stuck with them in snow that was literally just an inch or two deep. "All-Season" my rear end, the Continentals are true All-Season tyres, the Kumhos are just summer tyres that you can use in a very light dusting or rain...

I hear the slightly more expensive Kumho Solus tyre (factory option for smart) is much better in the snow...but I'm not wasting any more money on tyres until these ones wear out. :)

·
Registered
462 Posts
My factory stock all-season tires handle wonderfully in the snow, and have averaged between 41 and 42 mpg since I bought the vehicle. Very happy with them! In deep snow the smart will bounce around a lot but it doesn't lose control much (and when it does, it regains control faster than any other vehicle I've driven). RWD is neat :]

·
Registered
98 Posts
Went on Tire Rack and ordered up 4 rims and 4 Blizzak tires had them sent to the house. Changed them in the driveway in half an hour. My wife now goes around people who are stuck. Best money we've spent on the car so far. I have the 4 OE wheels/tires in the garage waiting for spring.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Goodyear assurance tripletred. Rooster tails like a manure spreader. Holds the road in 6" snow like it's NASCAR big brother!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts