Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GREAT REVIEW, but the red car looks orange in the pics.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/hatchbacks/112_0802_2008_smart_fortwo_first_drive

motortrend.com said:
Smart USA president Dave Schembri acknowledges that alternative powertrains such as diesels, hybrids, and particularly pure electrics are being studied, and that the location of the fuel tank in the center of the chassis makes all sorts of options possible.

The front end employs conventional MacPherson-strut suspension, but there's a massive deDion tube at the rear that also helps in side-impact situations.

Acceleration is leisurely at best. Smart claims a 0-to-60 time of 12.8 seconds, although driving the car in manual mode and shifting via the steering-wheel-mounted shifter paddles makes it feel zippier than that. In automatic mode, the transmission is calibrated for lazy, smooth shifts (not nearly as fun).
Wow, Motor Trend likes they tranny!

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'm surprised, but delighted, that a major motoring journal gave the smart such a positive review. It's like they got it (and this knowing that PAG isn't going to drop any serious advertising revenue their way anytime soon).

Color looks to me exactly how it looked in person on the tour. I'm not going use the "O" word, it'll get me in trouble. But definitely more tomato than fire-engine.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks close to that Clemson orange....can not stand that Tennessee orange
The pictures look more to the orange side than what I saw at the LA Auto Show and the smart House.

There was a fire engine red truck parked nearby in Venice. The smart was a brighter red than the truck. Firecracker Red, Chinese Red, not sure what to call it. It is a very flashy bright red car, for sure.

There are orange flecks in the red interior.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
As I have said in a couple of other threads, of any of the motor rags, MT's opinion aligns the most closely with mine. I will be interested in seeing the results of their first true roadtests. If that goes well, I can imagine that the Smart may be a contender for their car of the year (if the tranny doesn't stumble).

·
Registered
63 Posts
As I have said in a couple of other threads, of any of the motor rags, MT's opinion aligns the most closely with mine. I will be interested in seeing the results of their first true roadtests. If that goes well, I can imagine that the Smart may be a contender for their car of the year (if the tranny doesn't stumble).
I hadn't thought about that "Car of the Year" idea, but that makes perfect sense! If it's not, it should be. We soon to be, or eventually hope to be, smart owners are all a part of a major paradigm shift in the automotive world, and it's about time. Like Tom and Ray say, "Live larger, drive smaller".

·
Registered
63 Posts
I hadn't thought about that "Car of the Year" idea, but that makes perfect sense! If it's not, it should be. We soon to be, or hope to be eventually, smart owners are all a part of a major paradigm shift in the automotive world, and it's about time. Like Tom and Ray say, "Live larger, drive smaller".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts