Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Purest!:p

That back seat could come in handy now and again...
Well, I'm a few weeks away from three year of ownership. In those three years, there's been exactly ONCE that it would've been convenient to have more than two seats.

I owned my previous car for 14 years. It had a back seat, which was used 2 or 3 times. That car died of motor failure, but the back seat was immaculate.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Well, I'm a few weeks away from three year of ownership. In those three years, there's been exactly ONCE that it would've been convenient to have more than two seats.

I owned my previous car for 14 years. It had a back seat, which was used 2 or 3 times. That car died of motor failure, but the back seat was immaculate.
I still have one kid at home, and grand-kids have already started with more on the way; plus I have a lot of friends...:p

I'm not asking for much -- maybe a little jump-seat (like my old 944). I agree, even I don't use it much, but I hate to take the 4-door pick-up just for the lack of a jump-seat

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Just thinking ... if you need a back seat, then there are a multitude of options ... without holding one's breath for a forfour from smart.
Anyway, I was just speaking for myself.

I know people (quite a few actually) who drive pickup trucks, and almost never have a need for the truck bed. Guess they like trucks. Most of them don't have a back seat. I might need a pickup once a decade. When/if that day comes, I'm sure it would be cheaper for me to rent one than to buy one.

Yep, I understand yours, and other folk's need for more than two seats. However, If I had that need, then I wouldn't have bought a smart, my first two seater and loving it.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
I have a good-sized family, but most of them have moved out, so I don't need to haul much (thus the Fortwo), I don't use the truck much either, but I have a lot of hobbies, so I do haul stuff now and again; plus, when you meet someone at the airport, or you are hauling all your luggage to the airport, the truck does come in pretty handy. The smart just don't cut it for that duty, but that's not why I bought mine either. Realistically, when you only have exactly 2 seats (not even an emergency jump-set) you do limit your market -- that's a fact.

In TX, lots of folk commute in their trucks -- I also don't get that! I always drive some piece o crap econobox to work. The right vehicle for the right job.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I haven't thrown out the idea of the next forfour being built on the A's platform. That would actually work. The A isn't in this country and MB likely did a good job at building the A.

So take its platform, shove the engine in back, add a tridion cell, add some funky styling, a panoramic roof, and some dash pods and...new forfour...
It probably wouldn't pay for M-B to do the research and tooling for that to ever get off the ground. Just look how many of the domestic auto makers that had several "rebadged" cars in the line up and where are they now? Chevy, Ponitac, Buick , Saturn , Mercury, Chysler, Plymouth, Dodge all had mulitples of the same car......how many are out of business?

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
In TX, lots of folk commute in their trucks -- I also don't get that! I always drive some piece o crap econobox to work. The right vehicle for the right job.
I deliver marketing fliers to rural homes. Most of the time when a pick up truck is in the drive, no one is home. Many folks keep the truck just to haul that magic trailer. And it sits 95% of the time. and I thought it was just us.

But the pickup truck came in handy Monday after the dells rally when I left the keys to the Versa in the smart my wife took to work.
At least I had a back up vehicle for the day

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Purest!:p

That back seat could come in handy now and again...
Back seats that fold down, would be very handy too. I need more cargo space.
3 of us in our family. Always have to drive our Honda Fit, when we go out to dinner, or carry cargo.

Tried to get a sliding Dewalt 12" power miter box in the back of the smart. Didn't work unless the tail gate was down. Wasn't going to drive 90 miles round trip, with it open. Took the Fit instead, saw, tools, mdf board.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,093 Posts
I have a smart and a truck. Most of my driving miles are commuting to work and the smart handles that duty. However, for all other driving needs, the truck comes into play: 4WD for bad winter driving, crew cab for seating up to 5, truck bed for hauling large or dirty items, towing up to 6,500 lbs, and just a general second vehicle when my wife and I have to go separate places (rarely). The truck sees about 1/3 of the miles as the car does, but I still need it frequent enough for one of the above duties to justify its existence.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
I haul all kinds of crap in my pick-up and it seats 6, so when I'm using it to haul stuff, or the entire family it is as fuel-efficient as the smart! I've hauled stuff in my cars before, but it often times tears them up, damages the trim getting stuff in and out, shreds the carpet, and generally is hard on them. I think it better to get one of those light-weight trailers that fold up (don't take too much room) are easier on your car if you need to occasionally transport the heavy (less than 300 Lb) stuff and you are committed to 1 smart car.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
I said the same thing when the Cayenne came out! LOL, they sold the pants off it and made a bundle of cash for Porsche; so, mock if you want, but if you want to be viable, you have to have a marketable, and profitable product. Good thing the US has the CAFE standards, or the smart would already be history!

41 - 52 of 52 Posts