Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned a 2008 Smart Cabriolet and leased a 2016 Smart. I drove the one I owned 92000 miles and the one I leased 33000 miles. With the exception of a small part ont the convertible top on the 2008 I have never had any issues with a Smart car. I recently bought a 2014 Smart Pure with 18000 miles and have had nothing but trouble. Drive it for 2 weeks about 125 miles per day in 100 degree weather then it over heated. Figured thermostat so ordered the parts but ended up filling up with fresh antifreeze and after getting it pretty warm a couple of times and adding more fluid it seems to be ok. Now I get secondary air pump code. No noises when starting and I can clear the code by disconnecting battery and I can drive it for a day or two before code re appears. Have a new pump but don’t believe it is the pump or the code would return sooner. I guess instead of the third Smart being the charm I got the problem child. With low miles and the year model I fear car may have set a lot. I am going to try to check the dump valve.

·
Super Moderator
17,738 Posts
Welcome!! :)

Sounds like the PO didn't keep up with maintenance. You should be fine on cooling so long as the rest of the system is working.

As for your secondary injection pump: It isn't supposed to run on every cold start. It only runs if the computer determines that the pump is needed. It sounds like you're in a hot enough place to not always need the pump on a cold start.

If the pump doesn't activate when the computer activates it or it doesn't activate fast enough, you get the code. You will know when the pump turns on because even in the 2014s it sounds like a loud vacuum. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts