Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, it snows in Virginia. I know the northern states are laughing at us, but while we regularly see below freezing temps in the winter it usually is not sustained. We got snow last night. About an inch or so. Not much but enough to shut down schools and delay the federal government by 2 hours. I have a 5.5 mile drive to the commuter train. About 2/3 of that was untreated this morning. It's so cold, the snow squeaks. We've had continued cold so what would normally melt on the asphalt roads is just compacted. Fun stuff! I actually like driving in snow and mess but usually use the Subaru or Excursion. This morning I wanted to see how my ED performed - BEAUTIFULLY! No issues, maybe one tiny wheel slip. Just plugged along.

That said, I wouldn't take her out in anything much deeper as she just doesn't weigh enough to push through.

Stay safe and warm out there folks!

·
Registered
853 Posts
I drive my ‘08 ICE Passion in the snow all the time. I get some goofy looks from SUV drivers occasionally. It’s actually surprising that this light-weight car holds the road as well as it does when Mother Nature throws a tantrum.

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
Have had my smart out in the white stuff twice now with the wider, larger tires and it does kind of float on top more than the stock tires... I guess I will drive the truck when they predict the white stuff until I get the stock rims fixed up and some snows mounted.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
The car hated, snow ruts on the highway. Dinky tires. Low clearance. With snow tires The car preform better, with snow over 4-5”. It tracked better with powdered fresh snow. Forget wet, snow. Actual got it stuck on the street curb, end of the driveway.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Yes, it snows in Virginia. I know the northern states are laughing at us, but while we regularly see below freezing temps in the winter it usually is not sustained. We got snow last night. About an inch or so. Not much but enough to shut down schools and delay the federal government by 2 hours. I have a 5.5 mile drive to the commuter train. About 2/3 of that was untreated this morning. It's so cold, the snow squeaks. We've had continued cold so what would normally melt on the asphalt roads is just compacted. Fun stuff! I actually like driving in snow and mess but usually use the Subaru or Excursion. This morning I wanted to see how my ED performed - BEAUTIFULLY! No issues, maybe one tiny wheel slip. Just plugged along.

That said, I wouldn't take her out in anything much deeper as she just doesn't weigh enough to push through.

Stay safe and warm out there folks!
It's not so much a matter of not weighing enough to "push through". The Smart doesn't really push it's way through the snow. With it's narrow tires, it's more like cutting through the snow. narrower tread results in a smaller patch of snow under the tires. I drove my '09 ForTwo in the snow all the time (moreso when i had snow tires on it... since the wide rear Brabus wheels & tires didn't do it any justice whatsoever). With snow's, the Smart is a BEAST in the snow.... even ice. Our street was a no-joke solid sheet of ice one year when i had my '09. My parents didn't think the car would move. Backed right out of our driveway (which has a bit of an incline to get out of), and was driving down the street without much issue. Turned traction control off, and it STILL was no problem... as long as i didn't mash the pedal too hard.

I'm just wondering how the southern states are doing with this weather. They probably never even HEARD of snow tires (unless they lived in the north for a while). Do Florida and South Carolina even have snow plows? lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We used to get snow tires on our suburban when I was a kid. Now most of us run all-season tires. Even though it does snow, it melts pretty quickly and doesn't justify keeping an extra set of tires around. We get lots of rain all year, so we like tires that work well in dry and wet conditions.

I had no issues until I got back to my driveway last night. Snow had drifted a bit and I lost traction on the incline. Rolling back and trying again was all I had to do.

I heard someone spinning away out on the street last night. SMH, roll back, try again, take it slow.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Yep... makes you wonder how people got a drivers license.

As for all-season's..... most people call them "No-season" tires. They're just OK with all season's... not great at any one in particular. Kinda like the same mentality you can have towards people who say "Oh, i have 4-wheel drive (or all-wheel drive). I can go through anything". Yea? Tell me that after you've smacked into the guide rail because you were driving a little over-confidently and all 4 of your tires couldn't grip sh*t.

I say that because i basically witnessed it. Back when i had my 2009, was driving up the local 4-lane on my way to work, when i noticed something looked a little odd up ahead. It looked odd because someone driving their nice shiny Dodge Ram just spun out and went nose first into the guide rail. I just kinda looked as i drove past... looked like he lost his front bumper in the process.... or came close to it.

·
Registered
853 Posts
LOL, up here in the snow belt, I’d guess that about 70% of the vehicles I see off the roads in bad weather are SUVs and trucks. Four wheel drive does not allow one to disobey the laws of physics.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We call it 4-wheel slide. We get lots of ice here - wintry mix and freezing rain. It boils down to don't-drive-stupid.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
We call it 4-wheel slide. We get lots of ice here - wintry mix and freezing rain. It boils down to don't-drive-stupid.
Or could call it "no-wheel drive" like I usually do.

And yeah, living in eastern PA, in a small township, I know plenty about snow and ice. Like when our street was a sheet of ice. Only reason it was like that we because a plow had gone through to spread salt and vaguely plow the road, then no sign of anything for hours, leaving plenty of time for everything to freeze solid after partially melting during a wintry mix.

I actually got stuck once in my '09 trying to come up the hill towards my house. Was so close to where it leveled off a bit, but just couldn't make it those last several feet up the hill no matter what I tried. 4-5 inches of snow on the road didn't help anything either. So I said hell with it. Went up the road as far as I could. When it would no longer continue on, I left it in drive, got out of the car, left the drivers door open, and pushed the car up the hill until it seemed it'd be able to continue on, and then hopped back in.

Probably would have looked incredibly funny if someone else came up behind me.... Seeing someone push their own car up a hill... But it worked.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Had my first winter experiences with my 2015 smart. 5 inch snow, snow plow ridges at end of driveway, pure ice situations, and -5 degree temps. In a word, this car handled all of the above better than my last car (1999 Pontiac Grand Am). I was amazed at how fast the car interior warmed and those heated seats are the bomb! Defogging/defrosting worked very, very well. Could back right over the snow plow ridges, no problem. Pure ice was a bit tricky, just crept over it and took my time. No issues once on the treated roadway. I really appreciate the high seating position and no loooooooooong hood to peer over. I can see the huge potholes ahead, even at night with this seating position. And the visibility 360 degrees is awesome! Only thing that is a little unnerving is when people come to a stop behind me. I can't see the front of their car, so they must be awfully close (like a foot) behind my bumper. So close I can see their greasy noses and pimples. So many new experiences. A real learning curve, but a really fun one!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts