Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I volunteer for WMRRA (Washington Motorcycle Road Racing Association) and had an opportunity to run a few laps of Pacific Raceways in Kent, Wa in the smart. It does pretty well but used up all of the front straight getting up to speed :p

Corners well for a box on wheels, but as with any car there are improvements to be made (that'll have to wait a little bit).

Took a few pictures in Turn 4 (or 3b for the car guys!). Sorry, no moving photos as its hard to take pictures of yourself while driving ;)

On a positive note I'm still firmly in the 300 club, even with 4 'fast' paced laps on Sunday! This thing keeps putting out better and better mpg, at over 4k miles and adding up fast.

PICS:

·
Registered
163 Posts
smartune, it's not gonna fly off or anything, but your service flap (hood) isn't on right. See the upper corners above the headlights and against the trim at the base of the windshield? Those surfaces (at the corners) are supposed to be flush with the fenders. I see this all the time as it's easy to install either way. No worries. Pop the flap off and make sure to insert those upper tips down and in along with the engagement tab. If the flap's surface is flush with the fenders', it's on right. Once ya get the motion down it takes just a second to toss it on.

Arch

·
Registered
145 Posts
That 1 mile front straight must have taken a long, long, long time to get down. I remember being up there helping when they were still running old Can Am (5.0 liter, early '80's full ground effects versions) in the national ASR class. I think the one guy was topping out in the 180's before the kink. Fun track, been a long time since I've been up there.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Oven. And alot of patience.

Be warned, though. The plastic used for the inner cover is some funky stuff, it has mold release agent running throughout it and if you don't use the right paint and prep the paint will "spider" badly and not stick to the veins of release agent.

I've got the process down, and can paint yours too if you'd like.

-Dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts