Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I wanted to do a youtube video dump of the videos I've been meaning to share to the forum here, but haven't gotten around to.

The first video was recorded about 15 minutes ago, and I felt I need an answer on this ASAP, since I'm quite nervous about it. All the other videos, I felt I might as well share them here below the first one since I'm here anyway.

Smart Fortwo 3 Bars Symbol - YouTube

Smart Fortwo [All Stock] Test Drive with OBD2 Car Sounds Android App - YouTube

Torque Pro Android Track Recorder - 2009 Smart Fortwo Passion - YouTube

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried the procedure in the manual, and it didn't work. Now what's even worse, is that my car won't even go into gear. It's either in Park, or in neutral. So basically, I'm stranded at work. I called CarMax where I got the car from, and even though I have an extended care plan on the car, I'd still have to pay for towing plus a $250 deductible which is wondering considering I'm actually completely broke.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
What year is your car? How close is your nearest smart center? It may only need a software update if it is an 08 or an early 09. That typical symptom is that it simply won't go into reverse.
It has lost it's knowledge of what gear it is in. Could be the clutch actuator needs lubricating, but ultimately it needs to have the transmission retaught. You might disconnect the battery for 15 minutes, and then try the reteach per the manual. After failure to reteach, it will have to be towed.
A mercedes star machine will have to be connected to re-set things, read codes, and if necessary download any software updates. Yes, there is usually a charge for that. Most likely that is what will need to be done as a minimum. So I would get it towed to a smart Center where they will have a Star machine. No one else can update the software from the MB mother ship.

·
DrKillerBee
1,488 Posts
Rich,

I was looking at another thread concerning the same thing in July of this year and you mentioned something about the battery may need to be replaced. You mentioned how the battery was the heart of the smart and how without it nothing could be done.
A little foreshadowing maybe? I am happy you are driving BB again.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,186 Posts
Call me crazy, but . . .
I read this somewhere in the forums quite some tima ago, and it worked for me on a couple of occasions when the standard re-teach failed. I don't recall if the lines were flashing though.
It's similar to the re-teach with a twist. While holding the brake pedal down, turn the key ON and turn the steering wheel to the stops in both directions, then center it.
Maybe it was a coincidence, but it couldn't hurt!

Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys just wanted to give y'all an update- the car is currently fine with no problems. Here's some details that occurred later in the same day that I posted the problem video.

After I got off work at 6pm, I verified that I still had the problem- No matter what gear was selected, it acted like it was in neutral, except when in Park, the parking brake on the transmission would keep the car stopped.

I tried the teaching-in method again, and it didn't work. I started clearing clutter and fast food wrappers from my floorboard and around the shifter because I figured I might need to disconnect the battery. I unplugged anything plugged into the cigarette lighter socket, and unplugged my OBDII bluetooth transmitter from the car.

Then, something else occurred to me. All the instructions always said "have your foot on the brake pedal when you bla bla bla..." So in my usual way of changing things up when I'm not getting anywhere with usual procedures, I decided to attempt to start the car without my foot on the brake pedal.

Car starts as normal, and gear indicator says "P" YAY! No flashing bars! The check engine light remained on, however, I had a hunch that the car would hang on to that "U0404 and U0404" fault codes until the car ran for a certain number of sessions without detecting the issue. My hunch was correct. After driving the car on 3 or 4 more runs, the check engine light went off, and I have not had the problem since.

All this being said, I have family about 30 minutes from the Smart Dealership in Charlotte, NC. At the end of this month, mom is planning on going up there to have a visit, so we'll go together, and I'll have the guys see if the car is eligible for a transmission update.

Thank you all for your help and advice!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts