Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
The other day I painted the trim cover of my shifter module. (the grey peice in the middle of the two seats).
I followed the directions on this forum (tightly untwisting the bottom of the shift knob, and pulling it off)
It came off with ease, and I easily replaced the trim cover and put everything back in place.

I'm not sure if this problem relates to that, because I drove it all day yesterday with no problems,
but this morning when I started up my car, I drove for maybe 300 feet, and my car went into neutral. (the computer not the shifter)
After it went into neutral and I re-shifted into drive, the D started flashing and the check engine light came on.
I pulled over my car, and turned it off for awhile, and after turning it back on, the shift indicator stopped flashing, but the solid check engine light is still on.

What happening? I drive a 2013 Smart.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, just a little bit more info, incase any of this matters.
I just reached 32,000 miles.
I do need an oil change, I'm over by like a hundred miles. (no oil change light tho, just the negative day countdown)
I just replaced the chunky air box, with a G Plus intake hose,
but this was like two weeks ago, and I haven't had any problems.
I also just put in a K & N Filter to pair with that hose.
I have new spark plugs on hand, but just haven't put them in yet.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, one more update.
I have a theory.

After reading up on this forum, I decided to lubricate the inside shifter, just as an extra precaution.
While getting ready to do the lubrication, I realized that I put the shift head back on, but I never rotated it back into place until it clicked.
So I'm thinking this is may what have cause it to shift gears, therefor triggering the "check engine" light,
as if it was confused what was going on. It may also explain the flashing shift symbols.
Does that sound about right?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts