Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Repost:

Hi fellow SCOA members, this problem came up with my 2008 Cheewawa. While driving at speed today, the gear was momentarily lost, maybe for about 5 secs. and then surged back up to speed (60 mph). Drove it with ears to the car and noticed a bit of a lag whenever I stepped on the gas. Noticed my scangauge reading 3100 rpm at around 62 mph but unsure of what's normal. Then I saw the D blinking. No CEL, though. I tried bumping it into manual, and I saw the 4 and 5 blinking as well. It was about 20 minutes before reaching home so I just drove at 50-55 mph (2600-2700 rpm). When I reached my town, after the lights, at low speed the car was hesitating into and out of gear. It was just 3-4 more blocks to home, so I bumped it into manual. It stopped the hesitation. Got home.

Back in my regular parking spot at home, I switched off the engine, waited a few secs, put the key back in, and started the car again. The RND still blinked, and I noticed that the 2 spanners are out and blinking as well. No CEL, no burning smell.

Battery is about 10 months old. Odometer reads 211,750.

Jetfuel had this problem in 2018, but no resolution was recorded. There was a mention about this problem in another thread suspecting tranny ECU. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, update. I retaught the tranny a couple of times a few hours later that night. The next day, I took the car out for my daily commute of 140 miles with no sign of the troubles it had shown the day before. No blinking, no double wrenches, lower rpms. I have to think that the problem was a glitch in the tranny ECU (?) that simply needed resetting. Thanks Jetfurl and Bob for your replies. I'll update this thread if the problem recurs.

-wahi

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.