Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did an oil change, plugs, and filters. What is the situation for this flashing wrench? The car needs maintenance, right? Do I set this myself to alert me? For example when 10,000 miles is up and it's time for a new oil change? I read the manual, but I don't remember anything about this flashing wrench. Do I reset it using the buttons? :think::think::think::think::think:Tell me in detail the story of the flashing wrench.

·
17,350 Posts
Single wrench is an odd mile service (10k, 30k, so on).
Double wrench is an even mile service (20k, 40k, so on).

It runs on a 10,000 mile cycle or 1 year, whichever comes first. Go over, and it'll tell you by showing negative hundreds of miles (-100, -200, so on) or days, depending on which one you surpassed first.

Here's how to do the reset:

They must be done lightning quick, or it won't take.

1• Switch on the ignition to position 1.
2• Select maintenance indicator by double tapping the left instrument cluster button.
3• Switch of the ignition to position 0 (off).

Steps 1 through 3 must be completed BEFORE the wrench starts flashing in the instrument cluster display.

4• Push and hold in the instrument cluster button and switch ignition on.
5• CONTINUE TO Hold the instrument cluster button for another 10sec.
6• In that time, the spanner symbol on the LCD will flash and eventually reset.
And video:

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
In step 4 you do not need to start the car, move ignition to run position(position 2) not start position(position 3).

For the OP if it does not work you did it wrong, try again.

·
17,350 Posts
In step 4 you do not need to start the car.

For the OP if it does not work you did it wrong, try again.
Oops, I edited that out. I ripped that from SmartUSA Insider since it would be hard to explain it myself. OP of that thread took it from a UK site. *shrug*

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Between my 2 smarts over 180k miles logged, had to do that procedure many times in the 450 and the 451. Never really understood why some people have such a hard time getting it to work correctly. Only 5k miles between oil changes in the 450 cdi.

·
17,350 Posts
Me neither. I can get the service wrench to turn off the first try, every time. Same deal with the "ESP Trick".

·
Registered
1 Posts
It took me an hour to reset last time. Apparently if you eff it up too many times it won't reset at all. I found an obscure little post that instructed to allow car to sit for a while then try again; needless to say it finally reset. This time around, I reset first time around. The posts are absolutely spot on. It's just as simple as the five-step process describes. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts