Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did an oil change, plugs, and filters. What is the situation for this flashing wrench? The car needs maintenance, right? Do I set this myself to alert me? For example when 10,000 miles is up and it's time for a new oil change? I read the manual, but I don't remember anything about this flashing wrench. Do I reset it using the buttons? :think::think::think::think::think:Tell me in detail the story of the flashing wrench.

·
17,384 Posts
Single wrench is an odd mile service (10k, 30k, so on).
Double wrench is an even mile service (20k, 40k, so on).

It runs on a 10,000 mile cycle or 1 year, whichever comes first. Go over, and it'll tell you by showing negative hundreds of miles (-100, -200, so on) or days, depending on which one you surpassed first.

Here's how to do the reset:

They must be done lightning quick, or it won't take.

1• Switch on the ignition to position 1.
2• Select maintenance indicator by double tapping the left instrument cluster button.
3• Switch of the ignition to position 0 (off).

Steps 1 through 3 must be completed BEFORE the wrench starts flashing in the instrument cluster display.

4• Push and hold in the instrument cluster button and switch ignition on.
5• CONTINUE TO Hold the instrument cluster button for another 10sec.
6• In that time, the spanner symbol on the LCD will flash and eventually reset.
And video:

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
In step 4 you do not need to start the car, move ignition to run position(position 2) not start position(position 3).

For the OP if it does not work you did it wrong, try again.

·
17,384 Posts
In step 4 you do not need to start the car.

For the OP if it does not work you did it wrong, try again.
Oops, I edited that out. I ripped that from SmartUSA Insider since it would be hard to explain it myself. OP of that thread took it from a UK site. *shrug*

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Between my 2 smarts over 180k miles logged, had to do that procedure many times in the 450 and the 451. Never really understood why some people have such a hard time getting it to work correctly. Only 5k miles between oil changes in the 450 cdi.

·
17,384 Posts
Me neither. I can get the service wrench to turn off the first try, every time. Same deal with the "ESP Trick".

·
Registered
1 Posts
It took me an hour to reset last time. Apparently if you eff it up too many times it won't reset at all. I found an obscure little post that instructed to allow car to sit for a while then try again; needless to say it finally reset. This time around, I reset first time around. The posts are absolutely spot on. It's just as simple as the five-step process describes. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok ok ok.... I just bought an 08 451 and had as much trouble as anyone doing this reset, as I always do an oil change on any car I buy immediately.... and this is my tip that no one mentions.......

Stop wasting your time with ALL the steps if youre unsuccessful... and watch for this key thing to happen after Step 2... because if you dont sew this happen, youre wasting your time with the rest........

After Step 2, if you press the button twice fast enough at the right beat and tempo you will see the odometer change to the service miles....... thst means your double press worked! Watch in the video... when he does the Step 2 double press the actual mileage flips to the service warning (for me it was flashing -668 when I got this car) and when that happens you have successfully done the Step 2 double press and the rest is a breeze!

Took me a good dozen fails to realize I wasnt even seeing the actual mileage switch to the -668......... once I figured that out, it was a one shot trick and it works exactly as the person who laid out the steps and posted the video shows.

Just gotta make sure your double press is jussssst right to flip the mileage to service counter and then youre golden!!!

Thanks so much everyone!

One reason I bought a Smart for my 2nd commuter was the community of DIYers and fans!!!! Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts