Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Im at 60K and need to do the maintenance on my smart. I want to know what exactly the "flat belt" is, im having a hard time finding the part because the manual says it needs to be replaced. Can someone help me figure this out? also how should I go about replacing it?

Thank you!!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Hi,

Im at 60K and need to do the maintenance on my smart. I want to know what exactly the "flat belt" is, im having a hard time finding the part because the manual says it needs to be replaced. Can someone help me figure this out? also how should I go about replacing it?

Thank you!!
I would think serpentine belt. I aslo think at 60K the valve clearance needs to be checked. I anm sure some here have done the belt and will chime in.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
It's the flat serpentine fan belt. If you change one, you may as well change both the serpentine flat belt and the V-belt.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
There are two belts. One for the alternator & water pump, the other for the A/C compressor. The A/C belt is a special stretch belt that I've only found through places that sell smart parts. The other belt can be purchased at any auto parts store. Both are micro-V belts. Some call them serpentine, although on the smart they really don't snake around a bunch of pulleys like on some cars.

I posted info on changing them here: http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f25/6-year-service-37k-miles-72609/index4.html#post893729 Mine went 157K miles and still looked good.

The cheapest place I've found to get the belts is here: Smart Car Parts ? Welcome shipping was fast and cheap.

Also, I've never done the valve lash check on my smart, and at 157K miles, it still runs great, and still gets 43 mpg. I'm not saying don't do it, but I didn't...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts