Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a question for the 450 Owners: What do you do for flat tires? Heaven forbid you should have one! Are you carrying a can of aerosol tire inflator? :confused: Or are you using the breakdown kit Smart supplies? The aerosol can has freaky warnings not to carry in the passenger compartment. (I have not found the trunk on the smart yet. :) And not in hot weather due to risk of explosion. :eek: The Green Car Company, in Seattle, WA, says they supply only the aerosol. I guess they have not had any explosions yet. What are the rest of you grey smart owners doing? Would a bicycle pump work? Thanks for the assistance.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I carry

B.S.

I carry a can of "FixaFlat" this was what the dealer gave me.

I bought a set of snow tires and rims for my Smart and will plan on using one of the front tires as a "Ride With" spare.

There are some SMALL bottle jacks as well as small breaker bars in that lug size. On the foam above the battery, I plan to cut out pockets to fit the jack and the lug wrench.

Spare placement, I'm still working on that, BUT (because my wife is only 5'1" and likes to sit beside me) the spare will most likely go behind the Pass. seat.

Heck they also make VERY small 12 volt compressors (could be stored under the seat) rather than a bike pump:D.

Hope it helped

ASM

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I have a 12V air compressor and a bottle of slime that I picked up at Autozone, and it was even branded as a "smart" flat repair kit. It fits perfectly in the styrofoam cutouts over the battery where the OEM compressor and slime go. Essentially the same kit for 1/4 the price.

I have also jointly purchased a front and rear tire with another local smart owner to have in case of major tire damage. Since tire dealers in the US did not stock these tires over a year ago when we bought our cars, we planned ahead and ordered spares from Canada.

If we planned to go on any long trips, we would mount the new spare front tire on a steelie rim and store it behind the driver or passenger to have along for a spare. At this time, we have only been using the smart for a local commuter car, with our longest trips being about 200 miles, so we have not worried about hauling a real spare tire along.

Tom

·
Registered
183 Posts
I travel with the 12 volt compressor, tire slime, and some tire repair wicks. I've been to Arizona once and So. Calif. three times without a problem. If I have a problem, I guess I'll grab a motel and have a new tire overnighted from Canada. To me an extra day or two is not the end of the world.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for tire repair advice

Thanks very much for the tire repair advice. Looks like I'll be hunting for a 12v compressor and goop. Right now it sounds best. Have had lots of experience repairing bicycle tires, so...:)

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
Flat tire

Had a flat tire the other day, NBD (No big deal)

I had previously found a small compressor at Harbor Freight that fits perfectly in the space provided in the passenger footwell.

One time awhile ago I had tried the tire repair wick without success. The wick broke on either insertion or extraction. This time I applied a little Armorall at the puncture hole before insertiion, worked perfect.

BTW this little compressor with built-in 0-350lb pressure gauge is less than $10.00 at Harbor Freight. The wick tool w/with wicks is available there also.

I also, with the above two items, have a small pair of pliers (To remove the nail ,screw or what have you) in the compressor compartment. Result.... NO WORRIES !

<www.harborfreightusa.com> item #4077 (C0mpressor)
Cheers
Do the "Smart' thing
Donald LaFavor

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is CA & WA, Calif. & Washington, or Canada & Washington ?

Don
CA=Ventura County, California and WA=Kitsap county. 6mos here , 6mos there. Best of both worlds. The smartie lives in WA. Though it's very tempting to drive or tow it to CA for the winter. Thanks again for the pump info. :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hey All

Greetings

Hopefully the pending 451 owners are reading this too, the 451 does not come with a spare or even the room for one.

Because I could NOT come up with a suitable way to always carry my spare, I too bought a mini A/C as well as the tire plugs. If I plan to do over 200 miles I will bite the bullet and put the spare front tire in the car with a bottle jack.

:D ASM

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
A previous discussion concluded that one could keep the spare behind a seat with a cute little "smiley" or "Hello Kitty" cover on it. :) Some of us said that we got a flat so infrequently that a spare was unnecessary.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
A previous discussion concluded that one could keep the spare behind a seat with a cute little "smiley" or "Hello Kitty" cover on it. :) Some of us said that we got a flat so infrequently that a spare was unnecessary.
Without a spare, why isn't Smart fitting the cars with runflats?

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Someone here wrote that they are heavy? Also, aren't they expensive?
Yes they are a bit heavier, but not enough to significantly affect fuel economy. And yes, they are costlier too, but they should be offered as an option. The added safety of not having to deal with a flat in the middle of the road is well worth it.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
How long does it take to tell if a run-flat is running flat? Can they be repaired once breached?
The only way you can tell if they are going flat is if the car is pulling a little to one side or the car has an on-board tire pressure detection system. (usually the stability control sensors are used to detect if a wheel is turning faster than the others). You can usually sense the tire going flat from the pulling before the onboard pressure monitoring system goes into alarm. The run flat capabilities are usually specified at no more than 50 miles at less than 50 mph.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
OK, so if you get a "flat" on one of these do you use the Smart repair kit and fill it with goop? Maybe just get to a service station and get it repaired? :)

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
OK, so if you get a "flat" on one of these do you use the Smart repair kit and fill it with goop? Maybe just get to a service station and get it repaired? :)
If you are referring to the runflats, just find a service station or tire shop within 50 or so miles and get it repaired. The only time I've gotten a flat with a runflat was when I hit a 6 inch deep pothole and lost the seal around the bead. No repair need. Just filled it up with air again. The rubber is so thick on these tires that they are almost bullet proof. They do make for a harsher ride, but have outstanding lateral stiffness.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Mmmmmkay....I looked up some prices and found most namebrands are in the $60/tire ballpark. Not bad at all really. :) Funny, I rarely travel more than 50 miles anyway. hehehe

Do you think a dealer could sell you the car with runflats already installed? :confused:

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Mmmmmkay....I looked up some prices and found most namebrands are in the $60/tire ballpark. Not bad at all really. :) Funny, I rarely travel more than 50 miles anyway. hehehe

Do you think a dealer could sell you the car with runflats already installed? :confused:
Yes, for $240 plus mounting and balancing. But then you can turn around and sell the new take-offs on eBay.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Alternative to Run Flats

Hi Folks,

You may or may not have heard of Ultraseal. It is a pre-flat preventative injected into the tires, usually when new. The tires must be balanced prior to the addition of Ultraseal. This product not only prevents flat tires from punctures up to 1/4", but also eliminate slow leaks and adds life to the tires. I discovered this product from favorable comments on the Evilution web site in England (www.evilution.co.uk). The key to this product is to use the exact amount required for the size of the tire. For the 145 & 175 size tires, 8 oz and 10 oz of Ultraseal is required in each tire. That's only 36 oz total of the 128, so there is plenty for another car you may have. Total cost of the gallon is $49 plus freight. This product is used by the Federal government for all Postal Service vehicles in the US. A higher strength version is used for the army in Humvees. That product prevents flats even if a bullet pierces both sides of the tire. It's just another option if anyone is interested. We did this research about 6 months ago when we thought there should be an alternative to the "no spare" problem.

Ron Gaus, aSmartCar.com

1 - 20 of 70 Posts