Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Just came back from 3000 miles flat towing my smart - everything worked out great, expect I lost after 700 miles the front hood... good that someone recommended to
tape it down and I didn't do it. The plastic closing things just disintegrated and so the hood opened.
I installed some metal hood closing pins...

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wow, you found everything you need at a discount. Good deal!
I purchased the Roadmaster baseplate and Falcon 2 from E trailer. Installed myself. Not for the faint of heart- took 2 days working only a few hours each day.
Hardest part? removing and re-installing the side sills (rocker panels) All just to remove one body clip fastener on each side hidden under the sill!!
Installed a battery cut off. Owner's manual says to do so on our 2014 model. Also, I bypassed the smart wiring and installed aftermarket LED lights wired directly to the RV. Only $18 for the pair from Walmart. Wiring harness was on $7 from Walmart. I made brackets from Home Depot by bending mending plates 90 degrees. They mount and remove in seconds. I'll take a pic and post. Finally, while the front body clip was off I ran the wiring through the lower grill so as to avoid the problem of the front access panel (hood) from coming loose or me forgetting to fasten it correctly each time.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Wow, you found everything you need at a discount. Good deal!
I purchased the Roadmaster baseplate and Falcon 2 from E trailer. Installed myself. Not for the faint of heart- took 2 days working only a few hours each day.
Hardest part? removing and re-installing the side sills (rocker panels) All just to remove one body clip fastener on each side hidden under the sill!!
Installed a battery cut off. Owner's manual says to do so on our 2014 model. Also, I bypassed the smart wiring and installed aftermarket LED lights wired directly to the RV. Only $18 for the pair from Walmart. Wiring harness was on $7 from Walmart. I made brackets from Home Depot by bending mending plates 90 degrees. They mount and remove in seconds. I'll take a pic and post. Finally, while the front body clip was off I ran the wiring through the lower grill so as to avoid the problem of the front access panel (hood) from coming loose or me forgetting to fasten it correctly each time.
Looking forward to your pics :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
We had to Macgyver some OEM tow hooks in order to move my smart to a safer location the other day until it can be fixed. Recycled the tow bar from my Jeep CJ.

I don't recommend this for a long term solution though it's interesting that folks in Europe mount their tow bars to the stock tow hook bolt holes. On my smart we had to drill a hole on one side as it did not have a hole in the plastic cover but has the threaded bolt hole hiding behind.

Got some spikes to cover the holes when not in use though I have since ground off the tips to make them 'safe'.

Attachments

21 - 27 of 27 Posts