Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
I also disconnect when flat towing. I have a disconnect solenoid near the battery, and a switch located inside the service flap. Never had a problem, why take a chance?

Registered
I have never had a CEL after towing. The smart car seems to be smart enough to figure things out. Doubtless it must "relearn" some things, but it has never been a problem. I recommend taking the time to wire the taillights into the tow plug harness using the special diodes made for the purpose. BTW, the reason I have the battery solenoid remote switch under the service flap is that you can use a second key to lock the car, then turn off the power. I didn't like having to tow the car unlocked with a key in the ignition. I can provide the part numbers of everything I used for my entire towing setup, if it would help. 馃

Registered
I looked into getting a smart car trailer, but there are problems with carrying your car instead of towing it four-down when camping. If you camp at RV parks you will find that many insist that you store your trailer in a special lot, away from your campsite. That's a deal breaker for some of us. It's more hassle to unload the car, then park and unhook the trailer before you can park and start your campsite setup. Also, many public campgrounds barely give you enough room for the motorhome and a car. There is often not enough space to leave a car or trailer attached, and no good place to store it. It's so much easier when you flat tow, you just unhook the car, and you are done. This is my own experience. I think that the trailers are dandy, but I consider them a less versatile option when camping in the USA.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.