Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone! YahMez here, I am new (once again) to the forum, I joined early on when I first received my smart years ago. I took delivery in Dec 08, of my 2009 Smart Passion Cabriolet, black on black, leather w/ chrome package. :D

I am just past 55,555 miles (took a photo the other day because I just randomly caught it as I was pulling out of my neighborhood).

Anyways the flex tube connecting my engine to my muffler has completely rotted off. I've taken it to one muffler place that said they couldn't help me. Another place never got back to me. I don't have a dealership close by so I'd prefer not to take it out there (and also spend $$$$$) SO my question is, is there an easy cheap fix for this? Or am I looking at replacing my entire muffler? I know there are some decent after market ones for $300-600. But that's a lot of money that I'd rather not spend if I don't have to.

Thank you all! Nice to be back!

PS ... A smart without a muffler attached IS ONE TINY LOUD CAR!!!!!

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
I don't have a dealership close by so I'd prefer not to take it out there (and also spend $$$$$) SO my question is, is there an easy cheap fix for this?

A smart without a muffler attached IS ONE TINY LOUD CAR!!!!!
It's loud because you and your butt are essentially part of the sound deadening material above the engine!

A GOOD old school hot rodder muffler shop should be able to help you with a cost-effective repair - find one that does custom exhaust work.

A Google find, 29 years in the business may want to give them a call:

The Muffler Shop II
1334 Fairport Road
Fairport NY, 14450
(585) 377-5610

Complete with a flex pipe repair from their website . . .

auto repairs, auto shop, muffler shop, muffler repairs, custom exhaust, RV repairs

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
The stock flex couple is roughly 1 3/4" X 8". Like was stated above, find a muffler shop that will do custom set-ups and repairs, and have them weld in a new flex coupling. They can be bought online for about $25.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts