Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that it is getting dark early I have had to use my headlights a lot more. With the heater going, heated seats, and lights, I have noticed that every nonce in a while the head lights flicker with an electrical change in the car. Sometimes on coming cars think I am flashing them. By the way I have a 2008 Passion with 24,000 miles. Is there any way to boost the alternator to stop this issue.

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
To add to what 007 said, with diminished capacity comes an increasing chance you'll be left stranded one of these cold mornings. Although, I don't know where Falcon is.

If it's time to get a new one, go for an upgrade. :)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Had this issue early on in my 2008 with stock OEM battery. Smart wound up replacing those free of charge about 6 months in since they were clearly underpowered. If you're seeing this, it's a sign that your battery is pushing to keep things on. Time to test the battery and possibly replace it. If you do replace it, you can usually get one in the same foot-print with a slightly better capacity/load capability these days.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I am guessing it is the original Battery, I have noticed that it started slower on cold morning. Guess I will get a Battery. Do I have to remove the Passenger seat to replace the Battery?? Procedures? Thanks

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
well I am guessing it is the original Battery, I have noticed that it started slower on cold morning. Guess I will get a Battery. Do I have to remove the Passenger seat to replace the Battery?? Procedures? Thanks
No. Lift the passenger side carpet and foot compartment platform, the battery is under that.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I have to say, I just got a brand new battery for my Saturn, and it still does the same thing that my previous Saturn (exact duplicate) did since we got it new.

When stopped, you can just barely see the lights dim. My Smart will do that very quick, slight 'flicker' you mentioned when stopped as well. This seems to just be due to the car not receiving peak power as it does when driving.

Instead, power is being drawn from whatever you've banked up while on the road. When stopped, that's just your car's way of being conservative, as power is being pulled to many places.

That being said, if your battery is more than 5 years old, look in to replacing it. Of course, I say that, but my 2008 battery is still in the car and still rocking without a glitch. I'll probably look in to that come Spring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts