Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Mercedes/Suprex/smart turbo M160.xxx engine has been(is) used in some light aircraft. So then, could a Rotax be used in a smart instead of a Suzuki? Neue Seite 1

·
Registered
116 Posts
My thinking exactly. Trying to engineer a smart engine into an airplane makes as much sense as making it your life's work to convert gold into lead.

The Rotax 912ULS is a 1.35 liter, 140 lb. four banger and has a max continuous power rating of 95 hp at 5500 rpm.

I don't know what the smart's mitsubishi 1 liter weighs, but I'm liking the sound of a 95 hp german Rotax!

Alas, the downsides are obvious. Mating and fitting an airplane motor to my smart would probably be one heck of an engineering job, if not impossible or have unacceptable downsides. Likewise a bit of research leads me to believe that a fresh 912ULS would alone set you back around $17,000!

Maybe the Rotax V990 at up to 135 hp with 6 speed gearbox:

or the 804 at 85 hp:

Well we can dream, can't we?

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
I have seen photos of cars that some one put wings on and flew. This is the impression I received when I saw the title 'Fly Smart'. :) It would be neat to see some one put wings on a Smart Fortwo and see if it can actually fly. :)

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
or make it an auto-gyro? Auto-gyro is similar to the helicopter in that it has a rotor on top but requires less power since the engine is connected to the propeller pushing it forward. :) The rotor blades might be easier to put on a trailer since they are smaller. :) It would be similar to the Carter Copter Auto-Gyro?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts