Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received this email this afternoon from Smart USA... I wish I could have my current 09 upgraded to have the free fogs...

An update from smart USA.
Dear Joseph,
smart USA would like to announce a change to the “Comfort Package” option on the 2009 smart fortwo passion coupe and passion cabriolet models. Beginning with March 2009 production models, the optional “Comfort Package” will include electronic power steering, heated leather seats and fog lamps. The fog lamps will replace the rain/light sensor and auto-off headlamps with exit delay, which will no longer be available.
If you have received this letter it is because you are a reservation holder who ordered the optional “Comfort Package” on your passion coupe or passion cabriolet scheduled for or after March production. Therefore, you are scheduled to receive fog lamps as part of the “Comfort Package”. There will be no change to the cost of the “Comfort Package”. If you configured your reservation with both the “Comfort Package” and fog lamps as separate options, there will now be no cost for the fog lamps.
Should you have any questions about the change to the “Comfort Package” option for the 2009 smart fortwo passion coupe and passion cabriolet models, please contact your local dealer or smart USA Customer Care by email or at 1.800.smart.USA (762.7887).
Sincerely,
The smart USA Team

Reminder: The terms and conditions of the smart USA Reservation Process state that although you have previously indicated a preferred model and color choice during the initial reservation process, there is no guarantee that a smart fortwo will be available which matches the preferences you have indicated.
smart USA reserves the right to make changes at any time, without notice, in colors, materials, equipment, specifications, and models. Prices are not guaranteed and are subject to change without notice.

this message was sent by
smart USA
1765 S. Telegraph Rd.
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48302
1.800.smart.USA
www.smartusa.com

·
Registered
117 Posts
Cancelling the 2009 - Love my 2008

I received the same email today. OK, so now that I know the wiper sensor / automatic wipers and auto-off headlamps with exit delay are not longer part of the 2009 comfort package, I really see no advantage to keeping my reservation for the 2009. My 2008 orphan is just perfect. :) It lacks only the alarm system and has every other option. Why pay more for a "newer" model? My 2008 runs great and has just over 6000 miles. I am quite partial to the auto wipers and auto-off lights.

Really no reason to go with the new Smart until they IMPROVE it.:confused: I am calling Monday and requesting th $99 back.... Not even sure when they were going to deliver the configured vehicle anyway.:rolleyes: In addition, I reserved it waaaaay back in October of 2007!!!! And still don't have it. So glad I got my beautiful orphan!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Interesting. I love my auto wipers, and although I've always wanted fog lamps for my car, they're much easier to add-on (at least once the flash to activate them is fully rolled out) than the lights and wipers would be. I wonder if this decision was driven by the recent issues that the '09 cars have had with this feature.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Both of my 2008 orphans have the comfort package. I agree, I love the auto wipers/lights and wouldn't want my Smarts any other way.

·
Banned
4,244 Posts
"...the rain/light sensor and auto-off headlamps with exit delay, which will no longer be available...."

What? No auto lights and no Rain sensor? This seems like a giant step backwards and not at all a fair trade for the fogs.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see the big deal with the Auto Headlights/Wipers... I mean... if its raining, you turn the wipers on, when its dark out, you turn your headlights on, and I usually try to drive with my headlights on all the time anyways.

·
Banned
311 Posts
Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see the big deal with the Auto Headlights/Wipers... I mean... if its raining, you turn the wipers on, when its dark out, you turn your headlights on, and I usually try to drive with my headlights on all the time anyways.
Someone had to say it......THANK YOU! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
99 Posts
True but as an owner that has these features, I must say they are nice to have. A deal breaker, certainly not.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What? No auto lights and no Rain sensor? This seems like a giant step backwards and not at all a fair trade for the fogs.
Lean manufacturing falls apart during these times. I strongly suspect that the parts suppliers for those items have furloughed their workers or gone out of business. While smarts are selling, other makes aren't moving. Instead of waiting for parts that may not arrive, they've replaced the options with something more easily sourced and with a higher profit margin.

Then again I might be wrong.

·
Registered
311 Posts
the problem is with the auto headlamps.. they dont work in 9 out of 10 cars with comfort package.
test them and see. If you put your comfort pkg smart in the garage turn the auto lights one. Shine a flash light on the sensor. they will go off. take the light way and the lights come back on. then when you shine the light for the second time the head lamps wont go off at all. Its a one shot deal and they wont go back off, Or so all the cars on the lot we have tested so far have been that way at least.

it is for the better.. who has replaced a window with a rain sensor... ? its almost half as much for a non comfort windshield....

·
Registered
841 Posts
Quality Control//French Union Strikes

(12/31/08 e-mail notification)
"We have had reports of batteries being drained within an 8 to 12 hour period in Model Year 2009 smart fortwos which are equipped with the comfort package option. This appears to happen when both the rain sensing windshield wipers and auto-headlamps are left in automatic mode when the car is not running.
To help avoid a dead battery, please always turn your wipers and headlamps to the full off position when parking your car for any period of time.
Your smart center dealership will advise you as soon as possible of the availability of the upgrade which they will install at your convenience."
"Beginning with March 2009 production models, the optional “Comfort Package” will include electronic power steering, heated leather seats and fog lamps. The fog lamps will replace the rain/light sensor and auto-off headlamps with exit delay, which will no longer be available.
Are the Quality Control people on strike?
French strikers march for job security, pay rises | International | Reuters
PARIS (Reuters) - Hundreds of thousands of strikers marched through French cities on Thursday 1/28/09.
The unions have said they plan a meeting on Feb. 2 to discuss further courses of action. Union leader Mailly said the unions don’t want to “march every week,” but will ask for a concrete government response and meeting in the next 10 days

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Hmm, decontenting already.

Kind of sad... mine work perfectly (lights and wipers). I have to say, it might make me think twice... I like my toys.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Since the auto lights/wipers are gone, DRL's SHOULD be available :confused:

Let's see, removed $300 auto sensor, include $120 fog lights; no change in "comfort package" price; LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER $180 in profit to me :eek:

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm not surprised - I thought those were the culprits behind the battery drain issue in the early 2009 cars? Looks like they've found a permanent fix. :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts