Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed yesterday when we picked up or smart car from the dealer that the fog light switch is operable and actually shows an icon on the dash when it's turned on... my question is can I purchase the fog lights at the dealer and just plug-and-play? I'm assuming that the wiring is already there like it was in the 451. The cut outs are directly behind the fender and not actually part of it so it looks like they may be removable.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm looking to a wiring in some Amber LED for the fog. Question is, in EU the fog also turns on the rear lights to high so you don't run into the back of the car in the fog. USA dosn't do that.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
In the U.S. if you don't get the front fogs, there is a switch on the left stalk for the rear fog light in the left side housing - at least on my Passion. Not certain about the Pure. It's curious to me why they included that since the rear fog light still isn't understood by most folks in the U.S. I remember reading here sometime in the past year that the wiring isn't present at the front on the 453 for fogs. I purchased an O.E. kit from China a couple months ago that includes wiring for a switch to install on the dash but haven't had the time to investigate and install. The stalk switch for factory front fogs is different than what you get for the rear fog light. My plan is to tap into the wiring for the rear fog and use a relay to activate the front fogs. I need to locate the rear fog wire under the dash to do that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just as I feared, the fog switch turns on the rear light like OliverB said. so I would expect to see a few USA drivers going around with the bright rear light on. Oblivious to it. I'll just have to wire in my own.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Since we're on the subject of fogs... I know the factory front fogs are H16 bulbs, but does anyone happen to know offhand if they're Type 1 or Type 2 bulbs? One of mine blew (which is funny considering i almost never use them). Gonna replace both, probably put LED bulbs in their place.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Weird. I went out, to attempt to try to figure out which type of W16 bulb the fog lights use..... but something seems amiss. Unless i'm missing something, i don't see the two screws they're talking about in the owners manual that you need to remove to pull back the inside of the fender to gain access. I only see one screw, but it's further up, towards the top of the tire, and it seems to be more to hold the two body panels together more than the fender well.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
The factory fogs on my 2017 coupe also act as cornering lights, even when the turn signals are not used.
Rich
I realize that this is almost 3/4 of a year ago BUT the foglights on 2017 Prime coupe (my son's) act as cornering lights. The odd thing there's no mention of this in the owners book. (at least that I can find) It's a cool feature. He noticed it last night when he was able to see turning into the driveway in the dark..Also there's rear fog lights. which are activated by the same switch on the light stalk . Just toggle it the other way..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts