Smart Car of America Forum banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Well, there seems to be a lot of people that think that the fog lights shouldn't be used simply as driving lights, and should only be used in heavy fog. Some have even said how angry it makes them if someone is driving around with their fogs on when it isn't foggy. Well......here's MY deal! Right now I'm using my fogs all the time, and I've also replaced the headlights with Phillips Ultra-White bulbs. The reasoning......because I now need all the light that I can get to see at night. Retinal detachment surgery in October was a success, but created a cataract in my right eye. So the amount of light coming in is reduced, the vision is blurred, and that makes driving at night a real pain. So......it's either drive with the most light that I can, which includes the fogs, or not drive at all, which means giving up my job, which I happen to need. So...... I apologize in advance to anyone out there that I happen to p*ss off by using my fogs, but some of us just don't have the vision that others do! :( And until I get the cataract removed the end of April, I'll be using the fogs at night. I really don't understand what the problem is. Perhaps on cars where they're super bright, mis-aimed, or on a truck or SUV that's so high up that it puts them right in your face! :confused: Anyway.......that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :)

·
Registered
590 Posts
I was getting discouraged at the ignorance concerning lighting in this thread until Evilution and a several others including 'The Rigger' posted more accurate information.

The auxiliary lights that are installed from factories are fog lights not driving lights. There is a clear distinction between these two types of lights. Fog lights are mounted low and have a wide diffuse beam with a horizontal cutoff. They can be clear or yellow. To be most effective they should be used alone with no other headlighting. The light from fogs extends only a short distance in front of the vehicle and to the sides. The purpose of these lights is to reduce the reflected light back to the driver's eyes in dense fog and to light up the sides of the roadway directly in front of the vehicle so the driver can remain on the roadway at slow speed. They do not contribute to any normal headlight lighting except to fill in the darkened area within a few feet in front of and to the sides of the car's bumper. This is useless for any normal driving. It is because the light is so diffuse that they tend to glare in the eyes of incoming traffic. They no more contribute to a driver's ability to light up the roadway far enough ahead at normal driving speeds than a hurricane lamp might.

In contrast to fog lights, driving lights are mounted high, are usually more powerful and focussed to a narrow beam, are intended to light up the width of the rroadway at a long distance exceeding the range of a vehicle's high beams, and are of use only on rural roadways in clear weather and with no oncoming traffic. They are mounted high to light up the roadway in hilly conditions.

Factories would never install driving lights because of the general ignorance of most drivers. Fog lights are now being misused, think of the dangerous use that ignorant drivers might make of powerful narrowly focussed driving lights.
People who leave their fog lights on are merely showing their ignorance of lighting. The fog lights that factories install are not effective for fog because they are switched on only with low beams which makes them useless. To be effective for fog and justify their existence, a driver needs to be able to swith them on without headlights. Factories only install them to be switched on with the low beams because otherwise drivers may use them alone instead of headlights and the lighting from the fog lights is useless unless used for dense fog.
Factories also install them as aesthetic lighting and as unique identifyers of their brand because of the location pattern.

Those who believe they are more visible if they turn on their fog lamps are also indicating some ignorance. More lights on the front of the vehicle does not make the vehicle more visible, it just adds to the glare for oncoming traffic. For this reason, there are regulations that limit not only the number of lights that can be displayed on the front of the vehicle but also their location.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
and to light up the sides of the roadway directly in front of the vehicle Yes! Exactly! As well as road signs on the side of the road, plus people and animals along the side of the road, and they do this is regardless of whether there is fog or not! :)

fill in the darkened area within a few feet in front of and to the sides of the car's bumper. This is useless for any normal driving. How is this useless for normal driving when the fog lights fill in the area from directly in front of the car out to where the headlights take effect? Plus....again....they light up the sides of the roadway, which I personally find very beneficial! :)
I'm sure that they would be even more beneficial on foggy nights, especially in dense fog IF the law allowed me to turn off my headlights and just drive with the fogs on, which it doesn't!! :(

·
Registered
590 Posts
I'm sure that they would be even more beneficial on foggy nights, especially in dense fog IF the law allowed me to turn off my headlights and just drive with the fogs on, which it doesn't!! :(
The quotes in your post included words attributed to me that I did not say!

You miss the fact that the fog lights do not add light to illuminate signs, people and animals on the side of the road. They cannot do that. To see the effect just turn the fogs on and off and see what difference that really does make. The light is too low and diffuse with a sharp cutoff to do as you believe they do.

The filling of the darkened area within 10 feet or so in front of the car and directly to the sides has no beneficial effect to illuminating the roadway far enough ahead to be of value when driving at any normal speed even in cities. You should not be looking down at the roadway directly in front of your car when driving. You need to be looking far enough ahead to be able to negotiate the roadway and avoid obstacles, and the faster you go the further ahead you need to look. The value of the light from fogs would be adequate enough only for very slow speeds. Low beam headlights are designed to provide all the practical lighting required for urban driving.

Note the section on Fog Lamps in this reference - Automotive lighting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Daniel Stern provides a good summary of fog lamps and advice regarding their use. - Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
The quotes in your post included words attributed to me that I did not say!
My intention was to insert the words in bold that were in response to what you'd written. I thought that was fairly apparent. Sorry if it seemed otherwise to you! Regardless of what the various research shows, or what's in the link that you provided, it's all a matter of "perception" for each individual, and the freedom to choose! MY perception is that the lights help me to see better, NOT at any distance out in front of the car, but certainly to the sides, and also with roadsigns. So.... since I have the freedom to choose, and there aren't any laws against what I'm doing, I'll continue to do what I'm doing, and others can make the choice for themselves what they want to do!! :) It's just that simple!!! :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
The fog lights that factories install are not effective for fog because they are switched on only with low beams which makes them useless. To be effective for fog and justify their existence, a driver needs to be able to swith them on without headlights. Factories only install them to be switched on with the low beams because otherwise drivers may use them alone instead of headlights and the lighting from the fog lights is useless unless used for dense fog.
I have to admit I am confused by the Fog Light set up on my ForTwo. They do allow use of the fog lights when the head lights are off, which as you state is the correct useage. But to counter that, they also stay on when the headlights are on High Beam, which is not only useless, but also I beleive is illegal. With the smart's setup you have the low beam, high beam and fog lights all illuminated simultaneously. 6 forward facing lamps is illegal and I know of no other car that allows the use of Fog Lights with the High Beams.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I don't understand why people get so upset
When they see People driving with the fogs on in the day or night?
I'm more than sure it doesn't bother anyone at all. To each their own. I drive with them on because
It looks nice. No fog in Miami.

Just my opinion

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm more than sure it doesn't bother anyone at all. To each their own. I drive with them on because

Just my opinion
Fog lamps often are overely bright and often aimed quite high so they can be blinding to on-coming traffic. In some states it is illegal to drive with fog-lights.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts

Just my opinion
OK - people get upset when they see people driving with their fogs (or driving lights too) on because they ARE BEING BLINDED! Too many times I've had a nimrod drive by with their fogs or driving lights on and then I can't see where I'm going. Quick obviously I'm not alone in this boat since other people get upset as well. I have fogs on one of my Smarts - the last few mornings have been extremely foggy and I've driven with the fogs on. Not because I can see better (because I can't), but so people can see me better. I made it to work without getting run into so it must be working. :) Of course, that's just why I don't care for people to drive at or towards me with fogs/driving lights on, your opinion may differ and that's OK.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
IMO - the smart fogs aren't too bad. That's just my opinion and they may be blinding other people so to be considerate - I drive with them off no matter how cool I think I look with them on. :)

·
Registered
431 Posts
The drls I admire are the half power Lexus and the new bmw
Angel eye drls. Can the dealer make the fogs become drls instead of the low beams?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Wow, you guys will argue about anything !! :eek:

First, are they driving or fog lights....

The color of the plastic lens determines the name...

Alternator load or lack thereof...

Then effected gas mileage....

Wow.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
First, are they driving or fog lights....
The color of the plastic lens determines the name...
Uh, no; it doesn't.

The beam pattern, and to a lesser extent the mounting location, determines whether the lamp in question is a fog lamp or a driving lamp. The lamps on a Fortwo are mounted low to the ground, and have a wide, flat, short-throw pattern, ergo they are fog lamps.

Lens color doesn't have a bloody thing to do with it.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts