Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed my fog lights stay on in either low or high beam lights. Not complaining. I like it that way. But is it normal for Smarts?
Eric Hughes Central Pa

·
Registered
2017 Passion Coupe
3,552 Posts
It's normal for older software. Newer software eliminates this illegal "feature" of allowing more than 4 forward-looking white lamps.

When I got a feature activated recently, difficulties in programming required a deeper setting. I was warned before I was given the new setting that I wouldn't be able to have the fogs with high beams. I was fine with not having reason to be ticketed.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
It's normal for older software. Newer software eliminates this illegal "feature" of allowing more than 4 forward-looking white lamps.

When I got a feature activated recently, difficulties in programming required a deeper setting. I was warned before I was given the new setting that I wouldn't be able to have the fogs with high beams. I was fine with not having reason to be ticketed.
John, do you mean normal for older smart software, or autos in general? My Expedition turns off the fogs when high beams are switched on.

Every Driver Ed class or safety tip I've ever heard about driving in fog-- low beams only. Oh... and slow down of course.

So what would be the purpose of high beams + fog lights?

·
Registered
2017 Passion Coupe
3,552 Posts
John, do you mean normal for older smart software, or autos in general?
Older smart software. When the high beams are on, the low beams are still on. Allowing the fogs to be on as well in that situation is actually unlawful, something that smart "fixed" in the later rev.

So what would be the purpose of high beams + fog lights?
To "look cool" while blinding oncoming drivers.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Older smart software. When the high beams are on, the low beams are still on. Allowing the fogs to be on as well in that situation is actually unlawful, something that smart "fixed" in the later rev.
My 09 let's me have 6 forward lights; old software????? :D

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Oh no....not the proper use of a foglight thread again. (I'm on the side of the boat for using foglights for fog or inclement weather only - we have both here in Florida)

·
Registered
672 Posts
I noticed my fog lights stay on in either low or high beam lights. Not complaining. I like it that way. But is it normal for Smarts?
Eric Hughes Central Pa
My fogs used to work with either the high or low beams - but since I had the 2.0 software upgrade they only work with the low beams. Did I get some "new" software that other smarts didn't get? - sheureka

·
Registered
2017 Passion Coupe
3,552 Posts
I think so, sheureka. If your end result isn't typical, it's possible they had an issue with the "normal" flow of flashing the new software and had to take a different tack with nearly the same results yet a slight difference.

It would be interesting to find out if people getting recent 2.0 upgrades typically lose this "functionality" or not. I got my 2.0 early on but when I later got my fog functionality activated, it was only then that the extra steps needed to get my stuff working would disable the highs + fogs.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I think so, sheureka. If your end result isn't typical, it's possible they had an issue with the "normal" flow of flashing the new software and had to take a different tack with nearly the same results yet a slight difference.

It would be interesting to find out if people getting recent 2.0 upgrades typically lose this "functionality" or not. I got my 2.0 early on but when I later got my fog functionality activated, it was only then that the extra steps needed to get my stuff working would disable the highs + fogs.

Interesting... I'll have to check to see which way mine currently function. I have the factory fogs, light/rain sensor and have had the 2.0 updates.

·
Registered
2017 Passion Coupe
3,552 Posts
An important question is when did you have the 2.0 upgrade because certainly the earlier upgrades didn't force the new operation but the more recent ones might. The jury's still out.

·
Registered
106 Posts
We like to add the fogs to the parking lights at dusk; it's not quite dark enough for full headlights, but it's dark enough that it's nice to add some small white lights to the front. Not so much to help see, but to help make sure others see us, in a small car.

We have a Saturn that has a weird and probably accidental feature. If you pull back the light stick, you "flash" the high beams. You can also turn on the low beams, or turn on the high beams (seperate bulb or filament). But if you have the low beams on, you can then "flash" the high beams to get all four on at once. Very bright!

·
Registered
369 Posts
My early 09 has the automatic headlights and rain sensing wipers(I love them, even though the don't always work right). With the headlights turned on, I have fogs with bright or dims, If I turn lights to automatic mode, I can turn on fogs without headlights being on.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
An important question is when did you have the 2.0 upgrade because certainly the earlier upgrades didn't force the new operation but the more recent ones might. The jury's still out.
2.0 upgrade - 6 june 09
The upgrade was described to me as a transmission upgrade, not a general firmware including lights.

Maintained unadulterated the ability to:
- elect to run foglights ON once parking lights are ON (2 headlights)
- elect to run foglights ON once low beams are ON (4 headlights)
- elect to run foglights ON once high beams are ON (6 headlights)
- elect to run foglights OFF at any time
- turning high beams ON does not turn foglights OFF as our VW does
- flashing high beams ON does not turn foglights OFF as our VW does

We use our foglights as substitute daylight running lights.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts

Ummm... It's only "illegal" in some places. The State of Michigan, f'rinstance, allows up to eight forward-firing white lamps on a vehicle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts