Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys and gals here is the question of the day. I have a 2013 Passion coupe and am wanting to add foglights. I ordered the correct part numbers they appear to bolt in no issues, however the foglight grilles will not work with my stock lower grill. All pics I have seen show a panel coming off the stock lower grill and you install the new panels with the holes in them for the foglights to fit through. Now on my particular vehicle the lower grille is all one piece. Please help

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Did you want the part number for the grille? I'm afraid they did make a change starting with the 2013 model year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JZCHEN

That is exactly the grille I'm looking for. If you could toss the Smart number my way i'd most appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Sorry I didn't in the first place. I had to access the catalog on the computer, then find my VIN to use, and then find the part!

A 451 888 05 23. (Spaces are not necessary when looking up parts. The "A" is not usually necessary as well.). Sorry we didn't catch you before you got the other grilles for the older style!!!!

Wait before you go rush on that number!!! While it seems to be one whole piece, there are two part numbers just like the older but for the updated style: A 451 826 11 18 and A 451 826 12 18
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JZChen
Thanks for all your help. It appears with the redesign of the 13'+ cars, I will need all three pieces you listed the lower grille with holes and both of those horseshoe shaped spacers. It seems with the change to the one piece grille the foglights need to be moved an 1'' or so outward hence the spacers. So off to MBpartsstore.com I go.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
The EPC lists all three valid for my car via DataCard SA, but looking at it it looks exactly as one piece. The two extra pieces looks like the pieces for the pre-facelift design, and I was so surprised to see them I rushed back to note them, then when I went to get something at Home Depot I took another look and low and behold there is no way that it is a multi-piece grill. I'm really not sure what those other two pieces are for.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah looking at the diagram on MBpartsstore I couldn't figure out the other two parts either but for safety I ordered them anyways as they were only 11 bucks each. I would rather have to return them then wait another week to finish this project. I will get pics of this as I go and post a build thread for all those who are wanting to add fogs to the 13' and up cars here in North America, and all those folks with the 12.5'MY and up in the rest of world. I am still trying to figure out how to wire this to the factory switch, if possible as I have done some research that says the switch merely sends a prompt to the SAM that in turn powers on the lights. As much as I am wanting this to look as stock as possible I can't bring myself to pay a dealer to plug in computer to activate that setting in the SAM. So this may get a switch added to the center console in place of the coin holder

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will post an install/build thread on this once I receive all the parts and have a list of all items that were needed. I will make sure to include pics.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You could in theory wire them to your headlights but most states require that they are independently switched, and only allow a max of 4 white lights on in the forward direction at one time, or that they can only be used during inclimate weather.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Alright guys and gals

Here is the newest bit of info on my foglight install. All of those out there with the 12.5'MY and up when ordering foglights you will need the following items to install the lamp assemblies to make it look stock.

Grille #451-888-05-23 Qty-1
Grille Inserts # 451-826-11-18 & 451-826-12-18 Qty 1 of each
Lamp Assm# 251-820-07-56 & 251-820-08-56 Qty 1 of each
Lamp Mount bracket# 451-885-01-14 & 451-885-02-14 Qty 1 of each
Lamp Mount Screw# 002-984-18-29 Qty 6

I spoke to the parts guy at MBpartsstore this morning and he said there was an update to the one piece grille w/foglights to this multiple piece assm. Also when ordering a foglight kit from Smart Madness or other online retailer the bezels they show only work with 08-12 year cars with the recessed multi piece lower grille. Below you will see what I am referencing. Green car online foglight kits will work, Grey car online kits will not work.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Alright guys and gals

Here is the newest bit of info on my foglight install. All of those out there with the 12.5'MY and up when ordering foglights you will need the following items to install the lamp assemblies to make it look stock.

Grille #451-888-05-23 Qty-1
Grille Inserts # 451-826-11-18 & 451-826-12-18 Qty 1 of each
Lamp Assm# 251-820-07-56 & 251-820-08-56 Qty 1 of each
Lamp Mount bracket# 451-885-01-14 & 451-885-02-14 Qty 1 of each
Lamp Mount Screw# 002-984-18-29 Qty 6

I spoke to the parts guy at MBpartsstore this morning and he said there was an update to the one piece grille w/foglights to this multiple piece assm. Also when ordering a foglight kit from Smart Madness or other online retailer the bezels they show only work with 08-12 year cars with the recessed multi piece lower grille. Below you will see what I am referencing. Green car online foglight kits will work, Grey car online kits will not work.
I am impressed with MBpartsstore's knowledge of the situation. I paid for access to Mercedes EPC and see, supposedly, what they see. I do not see any superseded part designation with regards to the grille. That said, possibly only the factory has access to the one piece grille and any replacement parts are of the three part variety so that there is no superseding to begin with....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
JzChen

As I discussed this further with the gentlemen that gave me a call in regards to my order, he said it appears that the Brabus model has a one piece grille insert like the pic you attached in your previous reply, but this Brabus lower grille will not fit a non Brabus model as the lower valance is different so I'm told. He referenced part number 451-888-07-23 for the lower Brabus grille unfortunately they don't show a diagram of that number for me reference.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
JzChen

As I discussed this further with the gentlemen that gave me a call in regards to my order, he said it appears that the Brabus model has a one piece grille insert like the pic you attached in your previous reply, but this Brabus lower grille will not fit a non Brabus model as the lower valance is different so I'm told. He referenced part number 451-888-07-23 for the lower Brabus grille unfortunately they don't show a diagram of that number for me reference.
I added the Brabus spoiler to my car within the last year. Mine is not a Brabus model. (I am sorry for the confusion.) The 2013 Brabus model had not come out when I placed an order for my car, but upon research I found that there were very few differences and that all I needed for the front was that lip spoiler. I got the rear roof spoiler quite soon after purchasing the car, but I have neglected retrofitting the side skirts. If you have a floaty feeling at freeway speeds, I highly recommend that front lip spoiler, but can't help but wonder how adding just the rear one may have contributed to that floatiness all this time. WIS instructions noted that if one is to get retrofit one Brabus part, for example swap in Brabus wheels, one should do the whole set: front, rear, and side skirts as well.

That is the standard grille. Do not worry. I gave the correct part number as far as I know.

Sincerely,
Jesse

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jesse

Your help has been greatly appreciated thus far and has lead me down the path to to get the correct parts for this install. As much as I would like to add the front spoiler to the car, here in Wisconsin we get snow and at times alot of it. Adding that spoiler would give me less ground clearance which would cause issues of its own come snow season. If I lived in Cali I would be all about Brabus body kit, wheels, and lowered suspension. We will see how the first snow season goes with this car I may end up doing a DayStar lift and a larger wheel tire combo come spring if the stock setup is an issue.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts