Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at unicycle's latest update it appears there are about 15 cars with over 100K miles on them. For those that have 451 smarts in that category, how many of you have had:

engine failure due to leaking head gasket
engine failure due to coolant loss
engine failure due to valve problems
failed clutch actuator
failed fuel pump
failed transmission
failed front wheel bearings

Not an all inclusive list but these appear to be the items that currently invoke the "sky is falling" response from a few folks. Would like to hear from the owners of these high mileage 451s about their real world experiences. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Looking at unicycle's latest update it appears there are about 15 cars with over 100K miles on them. For those that have 451 smarts in that category, how many of you have had:

engine failure due to leaking head gasket
engine failure due to coolant loss
engine failure due to valve problems
failed clutch actuator
failed fuel pump
failed transmission
failed front wheel bearings

Not an all inclusive list but these appear to be the items that currently invoke the "sky is falling" response from a few folks. Would like to hear from the owners of these high mileage 451s about their real world experiences. Thanks! :)

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
+1.1

I've got 15 more thousand miles and I hit 100k.

At 100k I'm wondering if the wheel will fall off due to a faulty wheel bearing while drifting to a stop because the engine just gave way because the coolant leaked out but of course the fuel pump probably just went out at the same time but the car wasn't shifting because the clutch actuator had gone out too. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Except we only hear from the exceptional car owners that do manage to make a 100k without breaking the bank. The majority just go quitely away.

Also, most of the high mileage owners are accomplished DIY'ers and are not exposed to the outrageous costs of MB dealer service and repairs.

To even try to make a case that most owners will get 100k, major trouble free driving from a Smart is wishfull thinking.

This Kind of hype could only come from a Chief "Insider" and good old Kamaal himself.

Don't your arms get tired carrying all that water for MB? :D A2Jack

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
As I've posted eslewhere here, 108K and I've had none of the above mentioned issues. Car runs flawlessly. Doesn't burn any oil, doesn't leak any fluids. I just had to do my first repair a week ago. Cost me $35 for a secondary air injection valve. Took all of 5 minutes to change. Yep, I'll definitely buy another one when the time comes.:D

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Except we only hear from the exceptional car owners that do manage to make a 100k without breaking the bank. The majority just go quitely away.

Also, most of the high mileage owners are accomplished DIY'ers and are not exposed to the outrageous costs of MB dealer service and repairs.

To even try to make a case that most owners will get 100k, major trouble free driving from a Smart is wishfull thinking.

This Kind of hype could only come from a Chief "Insider" and good old Kamaal himself.

Hey,look! Another Larry Jr.!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have 5k to go before hitting 100k and have had fewer major problems than my last 3 cars. 2001 chevy tracker ate its timing chain at 50K, 1999 VW Beetle bad tranny (O1M need I say more) and a/c compressor 65K, 1998 Honda Accord bad injectors at 85k and bad a/c compressor at 2k. Yes I do my own work and I cleaned my clutch actuator and replaced blower motor (from junkyard). Car is not perfect but then again none of the other 21-odd cars I've owned have been trouble free either.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I always love hearing real-world testimonials from real people that have really been-there-done-that. I look forward to a long, happy, trouble-free life myself.

It's no mystery I'm accustomed to problem free (Saturn) driving, and so far, my Smart has been riddled with... Guess? Little glitches. :p

Door rattle, interior squeak, I'm going to need to repair or replace the blower before the Winter, and the sun shade will be replaced under warranty because of the little clips. The car has been awesome. I did an oil change and some other checklist stuff, and it's been almost 10,000 miles, 100% worry-free. Thanks for sharing real info - this little car seems pretty darn reliable. :)

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
As I've posted eslewhere here, 108K and I've had none of the above mentioned issues. Car runs flawlessly. Doesn't burn any oil, doesn't leak any fluids. I just had to do my first repair a week ago. Cost me $35 for a secondary air injection valve. Took all of 5 minutes to change. Yep, I'll definitely buy another one when the time comes.:D
And still, your post labels you as a DIY guy. I, for one, haven't got a clue as to what a secondary air injection valve is. And, I'm guessing most people don't. Hats of to you for being so self sufficient, but your post highlights that being a DIY guy is key to smart happiness in the long term.

Perhaps people, such as myself, who don't fit that mold might have more issues.

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
DIY is the key to happiness in any long-term car ownership. That's not unique to smart.

My 46 year old Peugeot is a total mystery to virtually everyone - including all mechanics - especially the fuel injection system, worm drive rear end and Hydrovac brakes. Maybe 1 in a million people knows how to maintain it properly and how it works. Anything under 10 years is short term ownership, to me....

·
17,360 Posts
DIY-ers will have a better time with car ownership, but saying everyone with 100+k on their clocks is a DIY-er is a bad assumption. The smart preacher himself (Kamaal) keeps posting pictures on Insider of his smart which is somehow nearing 200k!

I just crossed over into 7k. My only worry is tire, brake, and steering wear on these harsh roads. Why? The reports of toasted engines on this board don't even reach 20...20 out of over 50,000 isn't that bad, especially since some of those cars met their fate through owner error...So I'd much rather worry about the next thing I'm going to put on the car rather than something that may never even happen to it...

As for "the sky is falling", just spend some time on other car forums and see what problems everyone else experiences with their car models...no...join www.kia-forums.com, there are so many problems with their cars that you'd think your smart is the most reliable thing on the road!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
1. engine failure due to leaking head gasket
2. engine failure due to coolant loss
3. engine failure due to valve problems
4. failed clutch actuator
5. failed fuel pump
6. failed transmission
7. failed front wheel bearings
1-3. NO. I've never had engine failure, period.

4. YES. I've had a failed clutch actuator, twice, but both times they failed before damaging the transmission, so I've never had

6. NO... a problem with the tranny.

5. NOpe; no problem with the fuel pump.

7. NO. Amazingly, despite my terribly bumpy road, I've never had a problem with wheel bearings in the Smart; I've had to change the bearings in my Aztek several times.

It's also worth noting that I'm totally NOT a DIY guy. The only thing I've done myself was to swap out some panels.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
And still, your post labels you as a DIY guy. I, for one, haven't got a clue as to what a secondary air injection valve is. And, I'm guessing most people don't. Hats of to you for being so self sufficient, but your post highlights that being a DIY guy is key to smart happiness in the long term.

Perhaps people, such as myself, who don't fit that mold might have more issues.
While my post may label me as a DIY guy, which I'm proud of, what it is more a testament to is that regular, routine maintenance is the key to a long, happy life with any car. I don't do anything crazy with my car, I just take care of it like I was taught growing up. Do I go above and beyond smart's recommendations? Yes, in some ways I do, but in others I don't. I do what is reasonable.

·
Banned
131 Posts
My 2008 company cabrio has 107K. Oil changed every 3500 miles on Mobil 1 full synthetic and use a K&N air filter. Had valves checked at 60K, Revolution Mercedes stated everything was fine. Company retired it, however I spared the 2012 cabrio (a mirror copy of the 2008 it replaced ) and ran a 1200 mile trip in it with no issues- besides the older one has a nicer stereo/Nav in it. I've always driven it like a sane person and not like a "normal" person- the only problem with the powertrain in this vehicle is the person who is operating it and tending to its maintenance.

·
Smartmadness.com
1,216 Posts

Im close @ 92K miles and still running strong. My convertible top not working but aside from that I still love my baby. Dealer quoted me $1600 to fix.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
NO engine failure due to leaking head gasket
NO engine failure due to coolant loss
NO engine failure due to valve problems
YES, TWICE failed clutch actuator
NO failed fuel pump
NO failed transmission
NO failed front wheel bearings -- which is amazing, considering that I live on a poorly maintained dirt/gravel road.

And I'll add that my recent woes -- having to replace my engine at 162,000 miles -- was due to my own fault for not stopping right away when the red 'engine' light came on. My alternator belt had snapped, but continuing to drive (at the suggestion of Smart Roadside) overheated the engine. That would otherwise have been a $50 repair.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts