Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a used 2005 passion cabrio and it was running great no trouble just real dirty. So I watched a video on how to clean your engine and I did and now when I have it in Automatic it wont change gears but I can change gears on my own. Please help how can I fix this and what did I do wrong?????? I took it for a drive and it goes it just wont change gears on its own anymore. Help!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had problems with other cars before when I cleaned an engine. I would take a long drive really get the engine hot then open the engine cover and let it dry out overnight. See what happens is there an error light in the dash? You might want to reset the computer by disconnecting the battery

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying 8) I am going to take it for a long drive and then let it air over night. Yes there is the picture of the engine on the dash. Where is the battery? How do I get to it?

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
"Automatic it wont change gears but I can change gears on my own"

I believe she said she can shift gears manually, just not in automatic mode. Sounds like water got in a connector or something. Take it for a good drive to warm it up, or try the old hairdryer on the connections thing. A battery disconnect for about 1/2 hour wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all I can shift manually but it dont work in automatic anymore. I try to get rid of the engine light but it still there but unhooking the battery. I only unhooked for a few seconds. So I am going to go for a long drive and then unhook the battery for a hour or two maybe that will work? Thats what I get for tryin to make my car all shiny clean 8( Hopefully after the long drive it will dry out and work again. I hope thats all it is just wet. Crossing my fingers.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,972 Posts
This happened to us after Jim washed the under carriage really well. Once it dried out the car shifted OK again.
I hope that once yours dries out that it again shifts correctly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all so last night it did start shifting again! woot! woot! Now to get rid of the check engine light?? Do I just disconect the battery for awhile?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought a 2005 Smart with 97 miles in it, thats right. It has been is storage for 6 years. The problem we are having is that, after it is driven a bit and shut off. The car will not move at all. We have around 300 miles on it now. We drove it all day and stopped to have dinner and when we got in the car and started it, put in R and it would not move. Put it in 1 would not move. Put in A and still would not move. Loaded it on a trailer and hauled it home. PLEASE HELP !!

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
I just bought a 2005 Smart with 97 miles in it, thats right. It has been is storage for 6 years. The problem we are having is that, after it is driven a bit and shut off. The car will not move at all. We have around 300 miles on it now. We drove it all day and stopped to have dinner and when we got in the car and started it, put in R and it would not move. Put it in 1 would not move. Put in A and still would not move. Loaded it on a trailer and hauled it home. PLEASE HELP !!
If you step on the brake, do you brake lights work? This car needs a working brake switch signal to do anything! If the brake switch does not work, and I understand it can be susceptible to moisture, it will keep you from going anywhere as it wants to know you have the brake pedal depressed before going into gear. So check for brake lights first.
Evilution - Smart Car Encyclopaedia is an excellent source of information, and probably where I read about the brake switch. You may need your clutch recalibrated, or your clutch actuator cleaned and re-lubricated.
again, evilution is your friend.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Okay, LauraGillis,
Now that you have our attention, it is not polite not to tell us what happpened, how things turned out, etc. So tell us what was the problem with the no shifting...
for the love of God! Smart minds want to know!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yesterday I received the car to work on. There are more problems then just the car not wanting to go into gear. One strange problem is you can start up the engine by turning on the headlights. Now I have been working on lots of these type of problems with the 450 cars. I had one last week that you could not turn off the engine if the headlights were on. In that case it was caused by the person whom wired the aftermarket stereo and it was feeding power back to the SAM unit and was powering it up even with the ignition off. The problem with the car I received yesteraday would of been the brake switch but with the headlight issue it looks like it is something ealse. Most of the problems that I have been fixing were cause by something that was added after coming from the factory. I'll keep you informed when I fix the problem.

Leroy

·
Registered
3 Posts
I trailered the 2005 fortwo up to Leroy in KC yesterday. Leroy looked at it while we were there and the brake switch or SAM is supect. The brake lights are working ok, but the high beams will not work. We did find that if the key is on (1) and you flip the high beams the car will start ( not right ). Leroy said he would put a test SAM in it and see if that fixed that problem. It may have an short some where. We will up date when the problem is fixed. Thanks for your support.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Wow, How bizarre is that? Flash the headlights and start the car!
Thanks for the feedback. Always love a good story, with a smart ending.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts