Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a way to enable then higher regen mode without the paddles, or add the paddles aftermarket?

Since so few cars had the paddles I can't imagine what's different, but I was thinking about removing my steering wheel to access the wiring and see if there's a way to play with it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You might enjoy starting here. Perhaps we can be joined by someone who can say if parts alone would cause the car to accept and respond to the newly installed wiring and paddles.

Existing:2015 smart fortwo ed, with 3 spoke steering wheel with cruise control.
Convert from cruise control to paddle shifters.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]How to remove steering wheel:
http://fq101.co.uk/how-to-guides/fortwo-451/interior/500-brabus-wheel-frame

Parts needed for conversion to regeneration paddles:
1-Harness 451-540-96-05------------------------------$35.00
2-Paddle Switch 451-270-00-58-64C22A-----------$49.60
3-Rear Shroud-451-462-05-23-------------------------$33.60
4-Silver Trim Cover-451-462-03-95-28CCEL-------$42.40
Total----------$160.60
All parts are specifically for steering Wheel-3 spoke w/o Cruise Control, known as, 451-460-21-18-CV5A
Parts are found here:
https://www.genuinemercedesparts.com/auto-parts/2015/smart/fortwo/electric-drive-trim/electric-engine/steering-cat/steering-wheel-and-trim-scat

[/FONT]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

On that diagram it only shows one part for the trim cover, without letting you choose whether or not the car has paddles.

Are we sure that front trim is different with paddles? The parts/cost seem reasonable - but I think there was a thread in the past where someone said a dealer had to activate / program the regen somehow.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You are correct, the front trim only becomes a possible issue if, like me,
you have a 3 spoke wheel with cruise control buttons,,,which in the long run may be only a cosmetic issue. As for All previous posts on this subject, "adding/converting a non paddle car to paddles", there is speculation but no confirmation as to software programing requirements and no one has produced a list of the parts that would be needed.
In my research I have identified the "Parts" required but I can not predict if they will by their inherent nature create the desired outcome. I hope that one of our electronic professionals will chime in after reading and evaluating my parts list.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The higher regen is triggered on our car (wo/paddles) by gently depressing the brake peddle without having the brakes actually bite. It is only really effective at higher speeds. keep an eye on the power meter.

I'd like the paddles, but I'm not sure I'd give up the cruise control. hmmm.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah shoot - I don't have either, and now I'm seeing that Optimist wrote these parts are for the 3 spoke wheel. So I'd need one of those, too!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Ah shoot - I don't have either, and now I'm seeing that Optimist wrote these parts are for the 3 spoke wheel. So I'd need one of those, too!

Probably could find one in junkyards? Don’t think there’s any difference between gas and ed wheels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
The 3 spoke wheel is available for about $350.00 and comes with the wiring harness that you would need. You would supply the airbag and clock spring from your existing car. So, still very reasonable but,,,,will it work?

We need the professional insight that few have although many have opinions.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm fairly sure that adding the three spoke wheel with either the cruise control or the paddles will require a firmware tweak from an MB machine.

But I'm also very interested in finding out!

·
Registered
515 Posts
you dont need the paddles to get the regen capabilities

I had the paddles in my 2013

they have three levels no regen level 1 and level two

non paddle cars are set to level one

my 2016 451 does not and has the cruise control, which I like better

just play with the brakes very lightly and you will see and feel the higher regen thats level two

try it and watch the regen meter

non paddle cars can not turn off the regen

i see no need

Enjoy

·
Registered
152 Posts
Non-paddle cars can turn off the regen by shifting into Neutral. The electric drive transmission selector is not mechanical.

The only problem I see with this is that it divides your attention away from operating the car as you're thinking perhaps too much about how to economize. When I first got my LEAF, I definitely had a few times where I was somewhat unsafe thinking about the range and battery rather than how to keep the sheetmetal unmolested.

·
Registered
107 Posts
More regen POWER!

you dont need the paddles to get the regen capabilities

I had the paddles in my 2013

they have three levels no regen level 1 and level two

non paddle cars are set to level one

my 2016 451 does not and has the cruise control, which I like better

just play with the brakes very lightly and you will see and feel the higher regen thats level two

try it and watch the regen meter

non paddle cars can not turn off the regen

i see no need

Enjoy
So are you sure that when you press the brake a little harder and the Regen gauge goes to Full left that is equal to Level 2 on a car with paddles?
I do not have the paddles on my 2015, and the regen is barely noticeable and I get brake dust within a week of driving.
I also have a 2017 Chevy Volt and that regen can throw you forward if you have it in Low and pull the paddle, up to 65Kw I've seen on regen and no brake dust in years of driving.

Now on my Smart, "IF" the gauge was incremented it might be helpful. But if you consider that its 55Kw at max throttle, and by visual the regen might be 35Kw max. Still I want more Regen if possible, I too would be interested in a wiring Hack.
Maybe find the wire that the brake pedal uses to trigger regen and use something like a different pull down value or voltage increase?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes, let up on the gas pedal - Level 1, press the brake pedal a little -Level 2, harder still, hydraulic braking.

If you want no regen or coast, feather the gas pedal.

No new effects with paddles just different user interface.

·
Registered
90 Posts
With the paddles regen 1 (D) only goes about 60-75% max on the charge side. Only goes to max charge in the highest regen mode (D+ for paddles) HTH with what you see on your gauge but I would assume if you get to full spike on the charge side you are in the better regen mode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts