Smart Car of America Forum banner

FORD dealer did not take my smart serious

4K views 35 replies 19 participants last post by  1983JZR3W 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
did not know how to put smart on their computer. etc.
Well maybe a Ford computer wasn't designed to service a Smart. Your movie not working, says Please sign in to view. And why of all places would you take a Smart to a Ford dealer for service when at least a Jiffy Lube or KMart has probably actually worked on a Smart before.

#7 ·
The video loads when I'm on the forum with my cellphone. I'll take the op's word for it, but I'm not planning to watch all 23 minutes of it.

If the dealer couldn't handle the car, they should have rejected the work, and or explored how to do the job and returned the car without a fee if they couldn't figure it out. No excuse for that behavior and lack of ethical service.

#9 ·
I am really happy that my local mechanic here looked at the past tail light issue with my Smart, but once he found out he couldn't resolve the problem, he refused any tips or fees for his effort and he had spent over an hour into working on the car at the time. That was a class act in my opinion and I'll use him again for our other car when needed. I don't think that is the norm in many places these days though.

I don't see any video posted, but just the letter b. Without the video or some explanation, I have no clue as to what the problem was to begin with. I would think that some of the specialized equipment to work on a Smart Car would not likely be at another make's dealership though. That may have been the real issue to begin with.

When my car was at my local guy's garage, I spent most of the time there in answering questions about it with employees and customers, as they had never seen a Smart Car for the most part. It was a new experience for them, for sure. My issue was a simple tail light problem so that is why they took it on and thought they could probably do the work okay. However, it ended up being more than just a bulb swap or loose wire problem and they could not handle the fix and it totally stumped them as to why I had the issue on the car. The MB Smart Dealership in Ok City was a costly experience and a couple of hour drive, but at least I was back on the road with working tail lights at the time.

Good luck in a fix.

#14 ·
Yeah, I didn't catch the op's original post and I guess the "b" just sailed right over my head as to what it meant. I'm not much for watching videos of 23 minutes anyway. Just wondering who shoots a lengthy video at a car dealership anyway unless they have a real bad itch to grip about something? Leaving the web site here in a huff over nothing and erasing everything prior reminds me of one of those Paul Harvey suspense opening moments of, "... and now for the rest of the story." :)

#22 ·
first time I took my 2009 in to a quick change oil place, they tried to take the pan off the front bottom of the car to get to the oil drain plug...until I had to tell them the motor was in the back.... Used them 3 times until they stripped the oil pan out. Now I just do it myself... (change the oil that is, plug hole was already stripped)

Wal mart wouldn't put new tires on my rims because they didn't have a replacement TPMS sensor in case they broke one. At least they told me before they started working on it, and before I brought the tires and rims in.

#23 ·
first time I took my 2009 in to a quick change oil place, they tried to take the pan off the front bottom of the car to get to the oil drain plug...until I had to tell them the motor was in the back.... Used them 3 times until they stripped the oil pan out. Now I just do it myself... (change the oil that is, plug hole was already stripped)
That should be really embarrassing to that oil technician.

#28 ·
Oh, I would agree. But there are times when you need to "thin the heard". If a guy gets so bent out of shape that he leaves after just a few posts(and I had nothing to do with it this time), he wasn't going to be an asset anyways.

Say what you will, taking a smart to a Ford dealership for service is just asking for trouble. It's no different than taking your GM to a Toyota dealer, or Chrysler to a Mazda dealer. Most folks have enough common sense to realize that just isn't going to work out the best...

Unfortunately, the OP deleted all of his posts, so those of us late to this party don't have a clue what actually happened.

I'm actually pretty happy to see the level of activity has increased dramatically here. Seems the 453 has invigorated this forum once again. There has been some animosity between the generations, which I don't like, but that has been relatively swiftly dealt with on my part with an application of the ignore feature.:)

We all need to have thick skin in certain circumstances. Some just don't seem able to cope as well as others...:shrug:

#26 ·
I think jwight is on the right path. The op did have questionable decision making skills in taking his Smart Car to a Ford dealer and then complaining about the service he received. In the end he actually received a free oil and filter change. I think that deserves some consolation. The keyboard warrior in all of us...myself included is always right. I've shared and have seen many others share questionable decisions on maintaining and up keeping these little gems. If nothing else since it didn't technically affect anyone else it was taken by most as light hearted poking fun. Thick skin is a must just admitting that you own a Smart Car. That's what makes us all on the forum the same....yet very different. Kinda like fat chicks and mopeds.... it takes a real man to admit he likes/liked both: )

-smarTony

#27 ·
Oh come on....how many times in our pre Smart lives have we been enticed by the fast lube signs and pricing. "Oil change including filter, $29.95. No waiting."

Similar signs are everywhere and to most people an oil change is a simple thing. All dealers, in trying to scoop business do much the same, so seeing a deal and needing an oil change.....leads to a Ford dealer in his case. The OP may not be as learned as some of us here and not be aware of the intricacies of Smartdom.

I found it funny and wish I could have seen the video. He was kind enough to post it and obviously not aware of the problems that might be encountered. He learned! :)

#30 ·
Agreed.

I find that true with most dealers, not just smart. Although I was completely un-impressed with the sales staff at the local Kia dealer(ended up driving to Indy to purchase our Sorento), their service for warranty work has been excellent, and the interactions I've had with them have been very good. That is the exception, not the norm..

I do all my own work as well. I'm the guy the dealerships love to hate. They never make any money off me...

#31 ·
FWIW, SCoA is not your average Internet forum where member bashing is tolerated and encouraged. Having a thick skin is not the issue - reasonable consideration for others is. There have been more than a few comments on SCoA from folks leaving after a short time because they found some comments over the line.

Just my .02 - treat others as you'd like to be treated. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.