Smart Car of America Forum banner

Ford Ecoboost 1.0: Daimler may be doing more than "consulting" on 453's engine

9K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  chumly 
#1 ·
Ford Ecoboost 1.0: Daimler may be doing more than "consulting" on 453's engine

Take this with a grain of salt like any rumor, but....

We've seen the articles about Daimler consulting with Ford about the 1.0L Ecoboost engine, but this article implies a lot more than consulting and pretty much says that Daimler AND Renault will use the Ford Ecoboost for both the next gen fortwo and Twingo.

For smartUSA, I could see one non-technical advantage. Since Ford is bringing this engine to the states, it should already be certified and not require additional certification from smart.

The Motor Report: Auto News And Reviews

#2 ·
Sounds like earlier reports misinterpreted to me. Here's what the source article actually says:

Daimler took a look at the EcoBoost engine while developing it own three-cylinder turbocharged gasoline engine with alliance partner Renault-Nissan. Daimler is building the new engine with Renault-Nissan for use in the next-generation Renault Twingo minicar and in the German company's new Smart ForTwo.
:)

http://europe.autonews.com/apps/pbc...ford-exchange-information-on-gasoline-engines

#13 ·
After having many manual transmissions I really like the paddle shifter instead of wearing out my left leg in heavy traffic, much easier but I do see some advantages, especially when racing . The dual clutch sounds better but I haven't driven one yet. Chumly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.