Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So while we may never see the forfour stateside, I do like the fold back soft sunroof and really hope to see it as a fortwo option?

Since we have seen no stats on forfour legroom, what does this picture tell us? Check out the lovely lady ("normal sized" as JW might say) in the back seat?

Where the Photo Shop did she put her feet and legs? :eek:

·
Registered
449 Posts
There was a video that huronlad posted of a walkaround and sit-in of the new fortwo and forfour. The guy got in the back of the forfour, and while he said it wasn't particularly spacious or comfortable, he was able to sit with his legs behind the seat in front of him. I could believe this picture was real.

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
I read some place the Twingo, rear seating is very tight. Since the 4 door car is several inch shorter then a 500. Not sure I would want to seat back there, on a long trip. Good for small framed folks, with there own air bags. It's nice, smart didn't cut the strength out of the roof, for the 4 door. Luggage space would be very limited too.

Length of a smart for 4.... is 137.4"
Length of a Fiat 500... is 139.6"

Back seat of a Fiat is made for small people, only.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
The rear drive train in the smart uses available space much more efficiently than the fwd 500.

Front end and front passengers take up 75% of the Fiat. In the smart it is only about 50%. Much easier for those rear passengers to get in and out in the smart.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Exactly. The length of the vehicle is less important than its packaging. When you have less hood, you have more inches available for legroom. When you have a taller vehicle, people sit more upright and take up less space. This is why a smart can have four doors when a FIAT can only manage two.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
forfour rear set legroom?

Here's an experiment.

But first, the numbers... a 4/2 is 106" long and a 4/4 is 137". That equates to 31" of extra length, presumably for rear seat passengers.

Now, go and measure the four-seater in your garage. I measured my FIAT from the back of the front seat to the back of the rear seat, and got 28". Sitting in the rear seat of my FIAT, my knees have about 1" of clearance when my legs are in front of me.

Based on this protocol, the smart could have a total of 4" of knee clearance in the rear – therefore quite comfortable.

For those who don't know, it's not a Cadillac. If you need a Cadillac, buy a Cadillac.

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
It is a box shape and makes for more room than it looks. The same concept was used in the original Mini in the '60s where all four of the Beatles could drive around having fun in a tiny car. They retired that box in the year 2000.

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
After studying the rear seat passenger, I don't think they're real. My guess is silicone.
The answer to your question is moot. Nice needs no definition.
But I do believe the photo is real when you consider the curve of the front seat and edge of that seat can be seen through the glare of the windshield leaving plenty of room for those long shapely legs. They are real as well. :D

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
The orignal Mini, was front wheel drive. A lot smaller too then the new smart 4 door.

The packing of the 500 gives you a place for a spare tire, and larger engine. Still I wouldn't want to seat in the back seat of a 500. Our Honda Fit rear seat room is really good for a small car. The new Fit Hondas added space to the rear seat.

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
If a smart was 160" long like the Fit it could seat 6 people.
Comfortable too, and still get 38 mpg on the highway. 5 folks in a Fit is really tight. It more of a 4 person vehicle, with good cargo space.

I really like the cleaner look of the Renault Twingo, better then the new smart 4 door. The smart is very busy and oddly proportioned. On the Twingo, they hid the rear exterior door handle , to make it look more like a coupe. Nice. The one thing, I notice on both the smart, and Twingo. The rear windows don't roll down. Pop outs.

I love the design stylings of Renault, wish they were back, in this country.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts