Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,244 Posts
The new forfour will certainly be larger than the original Mini; the smart is even larger than that car. :)

·
Registered
912 Posts
It appears that we'll find out about the next Renault Twingo tomorrow (13 Feb) - and the smart forfour is that car's platform-mate and will be built at the same plant. I suspect that the styling details will be different but overall specifications pretty much the same. (Think Eagle Talon vs Mitsubishi Eclipse ... same level of difference)

http://europe.autonews.com/article/20140211/ANE/140219976/renault-moves-upscale-with-new-rwd-twingo

What's shown in that article was a concept car ... but I like that concept!

·
Super Moderator
28,244 Posts
Coming to the USA....possibly....

Got this reply from the international smart Facebook folks, in response to the question "will the new forfour be sold in North America?"

...we haven't taken a decision on the launch of the new smart four-seater in the U.S. yet. We are currently examine the market situation in the U.S. and whether provided that facts of the high costs for homologation of the new smart four-seater which can be justified at the economic level in this market. Many greetings from Pam @ your smart team.
I read this as it isn't a done deal the forfour won't/can't be sold here, so if you'd like to see it here let smart in Germany and smart USA know there's an interest. If they don't see any demand for the car then they have no reason to bring it here. :)

·
17,351 Posts
After reading all the press releases and such, it appears to me that Daimler/Mercedes/smart HQ all want to see the forfour here, but smart USA is shooting them down and saying there's no interest.

6 years in this country and smart USA still doesn't know what the people want?

*facepalm*

·
Super Moderator
28,244 Posts
Not a problem we can't overcome, IMHO. We just need to keep the pressure on both sides of the Atlantic to get the forfour here. Do you know anything about online petitions? :)

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
The new Twingo, is in direct competition to the Mini, 500 and new Opel/Vaxunhall Adam. Hope the smart 4 door looks as good as any of them. We'll never see it here. I think smart of NA, got one foot out the door, like the IQ. There's no need for city cars here.

·
17,351 Posts
I'd like to think we choked out the iQ. We are the US city car market.

Yes, the Fiat 500, the Spark, and similar cars are also city cars, but Americans don't see them that way.

Likewise, a four door smart could also help drive sales for the two door smart. Everyone I've ever talked to who said they didn't want a smart, was because they wished it would seat four. The market it there, but MBUSA doesn't see it.

A good example is too look at MINI. They suffered the same issue. People loved the Cooper, but wouldn't buy one because it was too small. So BMW listened and brought over larger models. Now look at 'em, popularity through the roof and some dealerships are having a hard time keeping Countrymans in stock.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
I'd like to think we choked out the iQ. We are the US city car market.

Yes, the Fiat 500, the Spark, and similar cars are also city cars, but Americans don't see them that way.

Likewise, a four door smart could also help drive sales for the two door smart. Everyone I've ever talked to who said they didn't want a smart, was because they wished it would seat four. The market it there, but MBUSA doesn't see it.

A good example is too look at MINI. They suffered the same issue. People loved the Cooper, but wouldn't buy one because it was too small. So BMW listened and brought over larger models. Now look at 'em, popularity through the roof and some dealerships are having a hard time keeping Countrymans in stock.
The next 500, and Spark, are going to be bigger too. The Countryman is no longer lenght wise then a Honda Fit. It might be 4" wider. The new next generation Fit will be a couple inch shorter. A 4 door smart make sense here. I guess MB doesn't care if it sells here.

·
17,351 Posts
1 - 20 of 65 Posts