Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! To start, I'm new to the form, picked up Mr. Pibb here 2 weeks ago, just got the car inspected this morning! I'm more excited than ever to be apart of the Smart community and to share the plans for Mr. Pibb, which has already become the most fun 5-speed I've ever driven!

Now that the cars inspected, I've been trying to add basic modifications to give more pip to the pibb. First on the list was the ESP off switch, which involved poking around here and with the fuse boxes and researching aftermarket ECU controllers to disable it on command.

Most of the forms unfortunately were a bit confusing as to which model each ESP guide was for, and the only way I found to disable the ESP was the form about driving downhill for 3 - 6 minutes in neutral which uh, takes longer than flipping a switch, so I thought I'd make a form specially for the 453s EPS for all fellow owners to swap notes with!

So far all I've had time to try is yanking the 25a fuse from socket 3 which disabled a good deal of systems from the vehicle. This also put the car into some form of limp mode and threw a check engine, limiting the RPM to no more than 4k, as well as no speedo, abs, and threw a brake light warning (despite the brake lights illuminating whenever the peddle was depressed, which I checked before driving).

Next on the list is fuse 15 in the glove box compartment to see if yanking that will do anything, then if so, routing a switch through the fuse socket if theres any more luck with that fuse.

Ideally, the goal is a hard switch or OBD switch that disables only the traction control on command and leaves the ABS and other systems functioning.

Let me know if anyone else has dabbled in the area! I look forward to hearing back, and just let me know if my next move with fuse 15 has gotten results for others! Theres a video of an electric drive with an ESP off switch installed I'll leave here as well, along with some photos of the Pibbster.

Skip to 1:11 for the fun stuff!

Best wishes!

·
Super Moderator
17,594 Posts
It took crafty owners less than a year to figure out which fuse runs ESP in the 451; and less than three years to find the button trick to disable ESP. I take it MB wasn't pleased with that. lol

We're now six, going on seven years since the release of the 453 (internationally, anyway) and it seems nobody has figured out how to disable ESP without throwing the car into a sort of limp mode. I'm very curious about this, too!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It took crafty owners less than a year to figure out which fuse runs ESP in the 451; and less than three years to find the button trick to disable ESP. I take it MB wasn't pleased with that. lol

We're now six, going on seven years since the release of the 453 (internationally, anyway) and it seems nobody has figured out how to disable ESP without throwing the car into a sort of limp mode. I'm very curious about this, too!!
Ahh, thats what I figured! I may just yank fuse 15 from the main box and see if that does anything at all, since I have zero clue how yo make these easier to go sideways. May have to make a trip to Mercedes and ask them personally, I need to know how to make this thing slide!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts