Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The all new Fortwo cdi is more environmentally friendly than anyone expected. The European process of certification for this vehicle is now completed, and revealed a standard consumption of merely .87 US gallons per 62 miles a gallon.

Instead of 90 grams as stated earlier the CO2 emission amounts to 88 grams carbon dioxide per, a little over a mile.

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
I always wondered about this. I guess being "green" with the lowest CO2 emissions still doesn't mean squat with US standards. I wonder what the holdup, or more appropriately, what the "offending" emission is that doesn't pass US muster?

·
Registered
37 Posts
i want the friggin CDI!

other than marketing Bullsh*t, is there a real reason why we cant get the new CDI in the USA? Has anyone published a comparison of the emissions vs the USA allowable standards?

Yes, the Fortwo is cool. But for the same price and similar mileage I can get a Yaris or a Honda Fit. And those are 4-passenger vehicles!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes, we need the CDI. One of our current cars is a CDI. It's terrific. Lots of torque and great gas (diesel) mileage.:confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
other than marketing Bullsh*t, is there a real reason why we cant get the new CDI in the USA? Has anyone published a comparison of the emissions vs the USA allowable standards?

Yes, the Fortwo is cool. But for the same price and similar mileage I can get a Yaris or a Honda Fit. And those are 4-passenger vehicles!

because they always stick you with the "WOW" factor--think about when the MINI Cooper first came back out--that thing was $$$ compared to anything in its class! and markups could be seen for years. THAT'S what's gonna irritate me the most, especially if they're sellin' these at Benz dealerships: it's like goin' to the Four Seasons to get a Bud Light w/ an olive in it :(

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
I always wondered about this. I guess being "green" with the lowest CO2 emissions still doesn't mean squat with US standards. I wonder what the holdup, or more appropriately, what the "offending" emission is that doesn't pass US muster?
At least several decades ago when I was doing emissions research in college, the offending problems on diesels were particulate emissions and NOx. Back then nobody worried about CO2, just CO.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
You got that right. Dubya still doesn't believe in global warming and thinks the more CO2, the better for his scotch & soda.

Whoops! Was that a political comment.? Sooooory!:D

·
Registered
317 Posts
Any gas MPG will be better than my present 86 Cadillac Fleetwood Broughm which is getting maybe 8 MPG in town. I'll keep the Cad for my Costco runs with the smart getting me around the rest of the time.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
The situation is that the EU/EC is focusing primarily on CO2; the U.S. EPA is focusing on NOx, CO, and particulates. NOx is the tough nut to crack so far. The EPA isn't warm to any anti-polution system that requires periodic service maintenance (liquid urea injection). The CO2, CO part comes with just burning less fuel more efficiently.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm on my 3rd Ford Festiva, I tow it behind my Motorhome. It's a 5 speed fuel injected engine and gets 43 to 51 MPG...I want a smart car, but not until the USA allows a Fortwo cdi!

Shane...

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Why no U.S. 451 Diesel?

The reason that the EU is getting a 451 diesel and we are not is the difference in required standards. Presently the EU requirement for NOx is =/< 2.6 grams per horsepower-hour. That reduces to =/< 1.2g/hp-hr for them by 2009. The 2007 US standard is =/< 1.2g/hp-hr, and reducing to =/< 0.2g/hp-hr by 2010. That is a significant difference between us. The additional standards for particulates between the EU and US are a lot closer, but the U.S. is still stricter.

As was alluded to elsewhere in this group, liquid urea injection is very effective in reducing NOx to our standard, but is only appropriate for larger vehicles. And the fact that the ratio of liquid urea (an expensive, HAZMAT item) to diesel fuel is 1:18 (cutting well into your miles per dollar). Service stations would have to install tanks, pumps, and nozzles, or sell cansiters to re-fill onboard urea tanks - not likely to be well met in the U.S. with so little interest in passenger diesels. There are emerging dry technologies, but they may also be too much bulk for a smart to carry.

·
Registered
564 Posts
...As was alluded to elsewhere in this group, liquid urea injection is very effective in reducing NOx to our standard, but is only appropriate for larger vehicles. And the fact that the ratio of liquid urea (an expensive, HAZMAT item) to diesel fuel is 1:18 (cutting well into your miles per dollar). Service stations would have to install tanks, pumps, and nozzles, or sell cansiters to re-fill onboard urea tanks - not likely to be well met in the U.S. with so little interest in passenger diesels...
So peeing into the tank every time you fill up wouldn't work? :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts