Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I went to open my top. I hit the keyfob and I noticed the top did not go all the way back. The driver side was about four inches from being fully open while the passenger side was fully back. I looked at it for a second and thought I will close it and take it to the dealer. I went to close it and pop, pop, pop. Busted all three plastic pieces that that hold the top aka the plastic runners with the bendable bars that hold the ragtop. I then think you gotta be kidding me so at this time the top is about a foot away from the windshield. I looked inside and the driver side cable had completely came out from the runner that pushed it forward. This point I am thinking how can this happen. I called the dealer being there 5 miles from my house. The guy said they have never had a cable come from a runner in all there years of working on them. So to get it shut i pulled the top backwards on the broke side to pull the top 100% up and out. I started the car at this time and the cable that dose the convertible top came on all by it's self and in the process pushed between the convertible top and roof piller which pushed the back convertible top apart from the roof pillar. So to pull the cable out so i can slide the roof part back in i had to unbolt the bar that holds the top up to slide out the wire. I then took the plastic sliders for the front of the top by the hooks off being they shattered in to 6 pieces. and slid the top in so it would not fly around while driving. I can still slide the ragtop back as if it was normal.

My only problem is i can't put down the rear convertible portion that slides down. There anyway to bypass this so i can slide the back part down to use my full potential of my car.

This is what i am told i will need to fix the car

800-1000$ Labor. 800-1.100 in parts. I call so much bs on this due to i priced out the front runners that connect to the top with brand new wires to the convertible top that go to the motorfor 160$ From Smart/Mercedes Chandler. Then the plastic runners where 120$. This time i can slide the ragtop front and back manually but i would like to put the back part down to. There any way to do this? I was thinking of removing the two motors but they cant be removed due to the cog that moved the top up and down cant be pulled out.

I want to make the top down all the way permanently since i don't drive it in the rain and its garaged with all my other cars. The only way i have seen to drop the top properly is bypassing the motor top pull it down by the motor or pull the motor or cog which i cant see possible to drop it permanently. There is a convertible shop in Scottsdale and they have worked on four of these and they gave me a 1K range and i am good with that.

Do they make a chiltons or Haynes or guise on how to fix these cars? I can't find any :(

Easy fix? or will this need to be a professional fix?

Extra. They built a brand new smart dealership in north Scottsdale to so we have two here. now They have a black brabus ed with a red top that looks so amazing.

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Aw that sucks.

I had an 8 year old 450 cabriolet that still worked perfectly when it was written off. I've got another 8 year old one now and it's good too, touch wood! The roofs on the 1999-2006 were made by Webasto, but I am not sure if they also made the 451 soft top.

For the DIY repair, try Evilution or fq101, or for that matter post on smart Maniacs in Britain and you will probably be able to get some detailed advice.

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can someone tell me. How do I remove the motors on the side of the top? I removed the bolt on the side and it moves a little bit but the cog that moves the top up and down that's connected to the motor seems to be inside the motor. I cant find one photo of the motor online. a how to remove or a fix. These cars are awful when it comes to work. Not even a chiltons or Haynes manual is out there.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Can someone tell me. How do I remove the motors on the side of the top? I removed the bolt on the side and it moves a little bit but the cog that moves the top up and down that's connected to the motor seems to be inside the motor. I cant find one photo of the motor online. a how to remove or a fix. These cars are awful when it comes to work. Not even a chiltons or Haynes manual is out there.
Yeah there are quite a few old threads whining about no manual from MB -- it's the first car I've ever owned that I couldn't buy a manual. It's the dumbest thing ever. With so many of them sold, I'm really not sure why Haynes hasn't come out with one. Maybe if you agreed to buy the parts from the dealer, he would either let you look at or print out the procedure for you. Just give him a sob-story about not being able to afford to fix it otherwise -- see what he will do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts