Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could have sworn that several years ago, when first visiting the smart store in Portland (RIP), that there were a set of headers sitting on a display shelf. While I didn't purchase a smart that day (or for several years to come), I always remember that header pipe. So small, so cool-even my wife said it was cute... My question, then, is there anyone out there that makes a header for our car, or was this a display mock-up, or was I just smelling to much exhaust and imagining things?

·
Registered
318 Posts
You could buy a used exhaust manifold/cat and make a test pipe essentially. That way you can keep you o2 sensor holes... Not sure if the rear o2 sensor spacer trick works but that is an option.
I've heard the resistor trick works too for the sensor.

I bet you get almost identical HP/TQ compared to the header. Probably have a little better low end considering the factory manifold is one pipe.

Hmmm... Might have to start looking around ebay for a setup... Thanks for the project idea!

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
You could buy a used exhaust manifold/cat and make a test pipe essentially. That way you can keep you o2 sensor holes... Not sure if the rear o2 sensor spacer trick works but that is an option.
I've heard the resistor trick works too for the sensor.

I bet you get almost identical HP/TQ compared to the header. Probably have a little better low end considering the factory manifold is one pipe.

Hmmm... Might have to start looking around ebay for a setup... Thanks for the project idea!

The factory manifold has #1 exhaust pipe aiming at #3 exhaust pipe....
Header would out perform in this application, especially for the turbo...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Obviously the header would out perform the factory manifold in a comparison side by side...

Is that minimal difference worth the additional $400-500 tho?

We shall see...:wink:

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Obviously the header would out perform the factory manifold in a comparison side by side...

Is that minimal difference worth the additional $400-500 tho?

We shall see...:wink:

Depends upon what is minimal... SFR claims it adds 15 horse...That's a 20% increase...Impressive amount of bolt on horsepower
If you can accomplish that by removing the cat and adding the "test pipe" you referred to then it wouldn't matter or be worth the big bucs...:wink:
Only the dyno will know...:D

·
Registered
318 Posts
I feel the gains are going to be close...

I'm in the process of tracking down a manifold/cat for cheap.
I know you have a manifold laying around that you want to let me use.

I have to dyno my car first, then with the gutted cat... Obviously this is all for off road use only... :wink:

·
Registered
318 Posts
The header has to throw a code unless you modify the secondary o2 sensor.
People don't like to spend $600 just to get a check engine light.

I want to know if the car's fuel system goes into "open loop" when the code comes on for the lack of catalytic converter.

This is going to be a fun little project. I also plan on ceramic coating the manifold and using the factory heat-shields.

Whoops not my thread...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Good winter project, everything will still look factory... besides the whole turbo part, maybe the p2227 will go away...I've heard mixed reviews... :wink: and I'll free up some powah!

Only spend about (One on ebay for $120 Free S&H, $75 on ceramic coating and time). Sounds way better than spending $600 and MAYBE :D having a couple more HP/TQ.

I'm taking a guess the TQ numbers are better with the factory set up and the header will have slightly better HP numbers.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Look in my Gallery, I made a long tube header and muffler, relocated the O2 so no code and it took almost a second off of the 1/4 mile time. the picture in my avatar is what it looks like.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Look in my Gallery, I made a long tube header and muffler, relocated the O2 so no code and it took almost a second off of the 1/4 mile time. the picture in my avatar is what it looks like.
Yep, I gotta go with Mendo and common sense on this one... an exhaust header for the smart is going to trump the stock exhaust manifold any day of the week... The stock exhaust manifold aims #1 cylinder at #3 cylinder... No way in hell can that be productive for scavenging exhaust pressure...:wink:
Even the simple analog header I made gets the exhaust gases going in the same direction..

·
Registered
226 Posts
Service Mgr at an MB dealership was mentioning a gentleman fashioned his own exhaust out of a Glasspack. Of course this was out of warranty, but apparently it sounded really cool. How cool can you make 61 cubic inches sound?

·
17,371 Posts
Godfather had a setup like that. He chopped off the stock muffler and put a glasspack in its place. Said it sounds like a hybrid between a Spitfire and a rabid lawnmower and makes even the Genius Exhaust seem quiet.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sorry to wake up an old thread but does anyone here knows if it's possible to contact mendo? i tried sending him a message but without success

1 - 19 of 19 Posts