Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Notice this little snippet in yesterday's business section from our local paper:

Demand for SmartCar ahead of likely supply

Penske Automotive Group, which will begin distributing Daimler's mini Smart cars in the U.S. next year, has booked 28,000 reservations for the vehicles, significantly outpacing the likely supply.

The distributor expects to sell between 16,000 and 20,000 vehicles in 2008, Penske Automotive Senior Vice President Tony Pordon said

- from wire reports

·
Admin emeritus
3,974 Posts
Yeah... I just heard that same figure last week too! This is quite the accomplishment for Smart USA and I am very excited about it!

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
So,..........is there an order for delivery?
Who waits until 09?
"First come, first served", I would guess. I'm just wondering how many of those reservations are for bona fide car buyers and how many are for speculators who will have the car on eBay before it is delivered.

·
Registered
16 Posts
"First come, first served", I would guess. I'm just wondering how many of those reservations are for bona fide car buyers and how many are for speculators who will have the car on eBay before it is delivered.
Good point about how many are actual buyers, I am inclined to think more than a few will not buy...
When the tour hit my area I was told that in Tucson had a wait time until 2010 :confused: who will wait two years to get their car :(

And the 28000 car figure is not that much out of production reality, smart needs to sell at least 25000 cars in the US just to breakeven, they need more than that to turn a profit..if not, smart is no more, lost way too much money up to today...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I originally put in my order "just in case" I decided to buy the car, but didn't necessarily plan on buying it. I just didn't want to be last in line if I DID decide to buy it. (Then I DROVE it and now I'm hooked!!)

I'm sure there will be more than a few people who change their mind based on price, or personal circumstances changing, or cold feet, or too long delays in production, or whatever. There's also a whole bunch of questions about the smart cars that haven't been answered yet.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Smart in Denver,
Did putting down the deposit get you a place in line? I am not sure. You may be just IN the pot with everybody else. Good luck. AL

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Smart in Denver,
Did putting down the deposit get you a place in line? I am not sure. You may be just IN the pot with everybody else. Good luck. AL

I believe they are keeping track based on reservation number. We might compare numbers to see if there is a pattern and we can estimate the beginning number. Mine is # 8310211178 recognized on 3/24/07.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I believe they are keeping track based on reservation number. We might compare numbers to see if there is a pattern and we can estimate the beginning number. Mine is # 8310211178 recognized on 3/24/07.
Based on your number and the date you made your reservation, I don't think they are using a simple numerical order, as my reservation was placed on August 5th, and is 705551XXXX (I'm not sure how wise it is to give the complete number on a public forum).

JagZilla

·
Registered
564 Posts
Colorado Waiting List

Hi RocketJohn,

Good to meet a fellow Colorado smart enthusiast! I attended the dealer invitation day in Denver at the end of July. The dealership GM was in attendance and pretty forthcoming with info on the waiting list. As of that date they had 400 reservations for Colorado; they were expecting a 2008 allocation of 250 cars, and had already reached that number of reservations as of the end of March.

Of course, two big unknowns remain: what will be the real allocation (depends on final number of dealers and total production allocation), and what will be the conversion rate of reservations into orders. It was mentioned that after each stop on the street smart tour they see a surge in reservations, but also a surge in cancellations.

Incidently, the same dealership is also the dealer candidate for Oregon, and in that market they already had 700 reservations....

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi RocketJohn,

Good to meet a fellow Colorado smart enthusiast! I attended the dealer invitation day in Denver at the end of July. The dealership GM was in attendance and pretty forthcoming with info on the waiting list. As of that date they had 400 reservations for Colorado; they were expecting a 2008 allocation of 250 cars, and had already reached that number of reservations as of the end of March.

Of course, two big unknowns remain: what will be the real allocation (depends on final number of dealers and total production allocation), and what will be the conversion rate of reservations into orders. It was mentioned that after each stop on the street smart tour they see a surge in reservations, but also a surge in cancellations.

Incidently, the same dealership is also the dealer candidate for Oregon, and in that market they already had 700 reservations....

Did they actually give you a copy of the list....or you just have a good memory? :D

·
Registered
564 Posts
In addition to Denver, I attended the steet smart event in Albuquerque. The word there was that NM was a "good" market for reservation holders, with the dealer having about one year's worth of reservations in the hopper. The tour had just come from AZ, and that was not so pretty; the dealer there already had enough reservations to take them into the third year's production allocation (i.e. 2010!). Both these events were in early July.

But again, the two big assumptions are initial allocation and order conversion rate. I just read on another thread that there may only be 40 dealers in 2008 but as many as 20,000 units. That's about twice as many cars per dealership as earlier estimates.

The dealership in Denver is Kuni Automotive. Kuni is a real top notch, highly rated organization, which hopefully bodes well for customer service. They have already started staffing up, selected the dealership location, etc. and plan to open for business in February 2008.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Wild Guess on Reservation Numbering System

Just a wild guess here from a non-cryptographer. If you take the first five numbers and use them for a zip code in the general area of a potential dealer, does that work? Then the last 5 digits might be the actual release number (covering up to a 99,000 total). I'm sure it is much more sophisticated than that, but it seems that the three reservation numbers I've seen posted in these forums represent Louisiana (for a Mississippi reservation), Colorado and Jacksonville, Florida. All these are legitimate locations for dealerships. However, further study showed that the two members that might be connected to Colorado and Jacksonville are actually in Albany and DC. Oh well. On the same line of thinking, however, each of the three reservation numbers (if the last 5 digits represent the reservation numbers) begins with a "1". That would seem to be feasible. Not that this means anything, but it's always fun to play with numbers!

Ron Gaus, aSmartCar.com

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hmmmmm . . . .

You may be on to something! The "zip code" (85912) in my reservation is for White Mountain Lake, Arizona, which I'm sure is a very nice little town. It is north east of Phoenix near Show Low, AZ and although probably not a candidate for a dealership, it IS out here near Las Vegas where I live. :rolleyes:

The next digit is a 1. :eek:

tm

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
And mine was recognized on March 20, 2007, #322571XXXX. Maybe the number sequence has something to do with the region of the US you live in or more appropriately, where you sit on the dealers list that will be closest to you geographically and who will be selling you your car when it becomes available. As time closes in on '08, it will be interesting to see what really happens here.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Decoder Ring Needed...

Not to throw a wrench in the works, but my reservation starts with 53021. This appears to be the zip code for somewhere called Fredonia, Wisconsin. No offence to any Fredonians who may be looking in but:
  1. I don't think Fredonia's getting a smart dealership, ever.
  2. It's a heck of a long drive from where I live in Colorado.
On the other hand, perhaps this is PAG's way of whittling down the waiting list a little :).

Or the reservation numbers are essentially meaningless and PAG is just using them to mess with our heads, thus distracting us from nasty things like additional dealer markup :(.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts