Smart Car of America Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm in CO too (Denver metro area, even) and my number is completely different: 410470XXXX.

And if CO's allocation was attained by the end of March and they go in the order that the reservation was made, I'm out of luck by at least 9 days' worth of reservations. :(

Too early for me to worry about ... we'll see what happens when they start the actual process.

·
Admin emeritus
3,974 Posts
I'm in CO too (Denver metro area, even) and my number is completely different: 410470XXXX.

And if CO's allocation was attained by the end of March and they go in the order that the reservation was made, I'm out of luck by at least 9 days' worth of reservations. :(

Too early for me to worry about ... we'll see what happens when they start the actual process.
The above number has no play in your position!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I put my money down on the first day and received an email requesting that I confirm the model and options that I wanted earlier this week. This leads me to believe that it will be first come first served.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The dealership GM was in attendance and pretty forthcoming with info on the waiting list. As of that date they had 400 reservations for Colorado; they were expecting a 2008 allocation of 250 cars, and had already reached that number of reservations as of the end of March...
Sorry, didn't mean to confuse. In the second part of my post I was referring to MicroNut's comment that the CO quota might have been fulfilled by the end of Mar, and I made my reservation early April. I didn't mean to suggest that my number had anything to do with it.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I wouldn't get too hung up on the end of March thing. I found the comment from the Denver dealer candidate interesting, but I still think there are a lot of unknowns and it would be unwise to give too much weight to it. In particular, the rate at which $99 reservations get converted in to actual buyers will have a huge impact.

My "gut feel" is that you and I both stand a pretty good chance of getting a smart in 2008, but perhaps not until the second half of the year. Of course I hope it's sooner, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high...

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Take a Breath!

Recently there have been all sorts of thing flying around here (someone even said that they already got their ’08!!!).

Until someone posts the real facts:
(1) what country are they talking about: U.S. or Canada;
(2) that they have been called-in by their designated dealer to sit with the business/sales personnel and have arranged the final terms and price;
(3) that they indicate what down payment was required to be deposited, and ultimately deposited;
(4) that they know what is the disposition of their $99 reservation fee – where it will be applied;
(5) that they have been presented with and signed the required contract “Three-Day, Right-of-Rescission” agreement;
(6) finally, that evidence of all of the above can be presented –

If any vacuum involving the above exists, everything is just wishful thinking and speculation about what anything held in hand really means.

This is a $12k-$17k business transaction with a point-of-sale organization; there has to be more meat here than just email.

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
as far as #1, the people who have been contact by SmartUSA are residing in the USA, that is the only fact.

#2 should probably proceed with the various dealers by the end of the year
#3 - Smart has already indicated that an additional deposit may be required when the formal order is placed (its in the reservation fine print somewhere)
#4 - I'm sure the $99 deposit will be applied to the purchase price
#5 - also in the fine print, upon being contacted by the dealer, you'll have 30days to place your order. I would assume the usual 3-day right of rescission opt out will occur when you sign the actual order contract (I think that's law )
#6 all in due time! :p

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
"...all in due time!" is the operative phrase. I don't think the "due time" is anywhere close upon us yet. Everything else, 'cept maybe #1, is still wishful thinking until it actually happens; when someone has put their signature on the final piece of paper.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts