Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola from Mexico

I bought a used 2009 SmartCar. I am having trouble understanding the transmission. Here is a photo of the shifter in my car. There does not seem to be a PARK... All of the manuals I have found show a different design. There are no shifting "paddles" on the steering wheel. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
29,396 Posts
You have an EU version of the smart - no PARK included. Never have understood why the "North America" (USA and Canada) version of the car wasn't sold in Mexico, since it is part of North America... :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! It has been difficult to find information about my car. I live on a little island in Mexico and it is a perfect car (I used to drive a golf cart!). Any suggestion where I can download a manual in English? Year 2009.

·
Super Moderator
17,725 Posts
Your car has the EU shift pattern that uses Reverse as Park. Put it into Reverse, shut it down, then pull the hand brake. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a Smart Fortwo 2008, a light is on when I try to change to REVERSE, sometimes doesn't work. In California is difficult to find a place where they really know to fix it. What can I do? Do you know a place in the Bay Area?

·
Registered
84 Posts
When you put it in REVERSE after parking and engine off, it locks the car in that gear when you pull out the key, this acts as a security locking device. It is the equivalent of a cars steering lock which your car does not have.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When you put it in REVERSE after parking and engine off, it locks the car in that gear when you pull out the key, this acts as a security locking device. It is the equivalent of a cars steering lock which your car does not have.
Ok, I'll check how I used to do this. I think I always turn the key and engine on first. Then this happened.
Thanks

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
394 Posts
That may be true on British smarts, but USA smarts have steering lock. I would not recommend putting the car in reverse after shutting down, but I do recommend pulling the hand brake up before putting the car in PARK. This is will help prevent damage to the parking pawl pin. You can feel the car rock to the pin when parking on a slight incline and taking you foot off the brake. It's that little bounce feeling, and if done enough may damage the pin and sensor to it may fail to read correctly. By using the handbrake first the rear brakes lock up and the car does not rock on the pawl. Your owners manual recommends this too.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
That may be true on British smarts, but USA smarts have steering lock. I would not recommend putting the car in reverse after shutting down, but I do recommend pulling the hand brake up before putting the car in PARK. This is will help prevent damage to the parking pawl pin. You can feel the car rock to the pin when parking on a slight incline and taking you foot off the brake. It's that little bounce feeling, and if done enough may damage the pin and sensor to it may fail to read correctly. By using the handbrake first the rear brakes lock up and the car does not rock on the pawl. Your owners manual recommends this too.
Great reminder of just how the procedure should be done. Unfortunately, most folks do just the opposite.

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
394 Posts
My US spec 2009 451 does not have a steering lock. Do the 453's have a steering lock?
Why yes my 453 has a steering lock. It's a PIA sometimes, as the car won't start if the wheels are turned too tight, and I have to first jiggle the steering wheel. Now that you mentioned it, I don't recall ever having that problem on my 2008 451, so you're probably right!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Its weird how specs are so different between USA and Europe, as I put my UK 451 in reverse when parked, making it locked in that position.

My 453 has a locked steering wheel. Here in the UK they all have that function, but i tend not to use it locked, as worried about breaking the locking mechanism LOL. I just stop the car, take out the key, and get out, and do not touch the steering wheel whatever position it is in. Always done that on locking steering wheels cars that I have owned, as it gives me the jitters*. Its not as if a thief can see if the steering wheel is locked.

*jitters = a sense of panic or extreme nervousness :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts