Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
He's not mine
9,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know how many people are hanging around here nowadays. But, yesterday I was rear ended (twice) in a four car wreck.
I can't get it out of my head that the investigating HP officer made the wrong call.

On a two lane road, a vehicle trying to make a left turn stopped, waiting for oncoming traffic.
The guy in front of me stopped. I stopped.
The woman behind me, driving a Nissan, didn't stop and rear-ended me, pushing my car into the old pickup in front of me. That second impact was more of a bump (not hard).
Then, a Ford pickup hit the Nissan, shoving it hard into my car for a second time. Both impacts to my car where hard, violent hits.

My car is drivable, although the tailgate has been damaged. The Nissan was also driven away. The Ford truck was undrivable and towed away.

What's been going through my mind is that I feel the investigating FHP officer made a mistake. The Ford truck driver was ticketed, but the Nissan driver was not. And she definitely hit my car before the truck hit her.
Now, I'm considering contacting the FHP on the matter. What say y'all? Should I just let it lay? Kinda irks me the Nissan driver gets off scot-free when she plainly rammed me before she was struck. I don't know how I could prove that, other than that I would swear in court that I received two distinct impacts, separated by at least a second. But, if going to court is what it would take, I'm not so sure I'd want to go that far.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Don't know how many people are hanging around here nowadays. But, yesterday I was rear ended (twice) in a four car wreck.
I can't get it out of my head that the investigating HP officer made the wrong call.

On a two lane road, a vehicle trying to make a left turn stopped, waiting for oncoming traffic.
The woman behind me, driving a Nissan, didn't stop and rear-ended me, pushing my car into the old pickup in front of me. That second impact was more of a bump (not hard).
Then, a Ford pickup hit the Nissan, shoving it hard into my car for a second time. Both impacts to my car where hard, violent hits.

My car is drivable, although the tailgate has been damaged. The Nissan was also driven away. The Ford truck was undrivable and towed away.

What's been going through my mind is that I feel the investigating FHP officer made a mistake. The Ford truck driver was ticketed, but the Nissan driver was not. And she definitely hit my car before the truck hit her.
Now, I'm considering contacting the FHP on the matter. What say y'all? Should I just let it lay? Kinda irks me the Nissan driver gets off scot-free when she plainly rammed me before she was struck. I don't know how I could prove that, other than that I would swear in court that I received two distinct impacts, separated by at least a second. But, if going to court is what it would take, I'm not so sure I'd want to go that far.
Talk to your insurance company. Tell them your version. HP isn’t perfect.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I would at least make the attempt to clarify the record by contacting HP, also you insurance. It is your attempt to do the right thing, which is something many people do not do.
Recently I took a citizen law enforcement academy course... it was great and one section was accident investigation by the HP. They are highly trained, but can make a mistake.
I am sure they will listen.

·
He's not mine
9,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would at least make the attempt to clarify the record by contacting HP, also you insurance. It is your attempt to do the right thing, which is something many people do not do.
Recently I took a citizen law enforcement academy course... it was great and one section was accident investigation by the HP. They are highly trained, but can make a mistake.
I am sure they will listen.
I think she should be penalized. Visibility was perfect, and I've got extra bright tail/brake lights on my car. Someone could've been seriously injured or killed. This accident was clearly the result of distracted drivers, probably using cell phones. The Nissan driver climbed out of her car asking herself where her phone was, and then asked me if I was okay.

I was on the way to pick my 91-year old mother up from dialysis. Thank goodness this didn't happen with her in the car.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yes, you are probably correct, but if you get the HP on your side, they could force her to surrender her phone, and they could find out if she was texting etc...

·
Registered
1,021 Posts

OH NO!! I'm so sorry Victor! ARE YOU OK?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good day, as a retired Chief of Police, contact the investigator from FHP, ask to add an amendment to the report, if all the statements were taken on location he may have not had all the necessary information at that time. Hope you were not injured.

·
He's not mine
9,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OH NO!! I'm so sorry Victor! ARE YOU OK?
Hey Dora,
Yeah, physically okay, at least regarding this collision.

For anyone interested in this accident: The other two insurance companies with interest have talked with me, and I've sent pictures of my car to them. I described the two impacts clearly. It seems the Nissan lady denied she hit me first, so I guess it's he said/she said. The visible damage to my car seemed so minor when compared to the F150, I think the investigators on scene assumed I wasn't hit so hard. Smarts are tough little cars. I think the situation is better understood now.

I haven't heard from them in a week or two, but I understand one of them is going to pay for the damage to my car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts