Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
That would be the smart USA 4 door agreement with Nissan,

Not the MB Renault 4 door expected in a few more years.

Just to be clear

·
5,297 Posts
This one is the one that is not going to happen. I don't know how much longer it will be on the smartUSA website, but I am confident it will be going soon. :)

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Here is a clearer description
Project Quattro canceled

Smart dealers in the United States sell the ForTwo and an electric version of the microcar. The brand isn't scheduled to receive a new vehicle for two or three years. That will be a four-door being developed with Renault/Nissan as part of an alliance with Mercedes-Benz.

A separate Nissan-based four-door that has been under development for Smart USA won't happen. That car was due to be launched in late 2011 or early 2012.

“We will stop the project,” Lieb said. “If Smart continued as a free-standing network, they would need a second model to make it viable. By integrating it into Mercedes-Benz, there is no need.”

The Mexican-built car, which had been dubbed Project Quattro, could be canceled at any time according to the agreement with Nissan.

Read more: Mercedes-Benz to take over Smart distribution from Penske; plans for four-door scrapped - AutoWeek Magazine

·
5,297 Posts
I never saw any other news on this other than the Memorandum of Understanding announcement between smartUSA and Nissan that started the news stories on it.

Water under the bridge now.

·
5,297 Posts
and from this morning's news...

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/nissan-based-smart-delayed-due-to-mercedes-penske-deal-31242.html

15th of February 2011 | 08:27 GMT |
Nissan-Based smart Delayed Due to Mercedes-Penske Deal

"The announcement, in other words, means that the new smart model specifically designed for the United States and believed to be based on a Nissan platform will be delayed. Voices from within smart said a few days ago that the new model could be released by summer but, with the new announcement, the launch could be postponed to a later date."
---
This will be interesting.
So are they or aren't they?

·
Super Moderator
28,685 Posts
That makes no sense IMHO. Penske was supposedly fronting $25 million to make that happen, so now that he's out I'm going with the AutoWeek report that the Penske-Nissan 4 door is DOA. :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Existing A and B class ?

Maybe it is time to federalize the A or B class Mercedes and badge them as smarts?

My understanding was that the issue about bringing them here in the past was the 'lowering' of Mercedes. Badging them as larger smarts would resolve that issue.

BMW had no problem bringing in the 1 series and Audi brought in the A3.

-Barry-

·
Super Moderator
28,685 Posts
Maybe it is time to federalize the A or B class Mercedes and badge them as smarts?

My understanding was that the issue about bringing them here in the past was the 'lowering' of Mercedes. Badging them as larger smarts would resolve that issue.

BMW had no problem bringing in the 1 series and Audi brought in the A3.

-Barry-
It's been reported that M-B is considering something along those lines: http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f7/bmw-mercedes-plan-smaller-vehicles-u-s-34311/?highlight=Mercedes+small+car :)

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,677 Posts
That makes no sense IMHO. Penske was supposedly fronting $25 million to make that happen, so now that he's out I'm going with the AutoWeek report that the Penske-Nissan 4 door is DOA. :)
Four door is indeed DOA.

In October, Smart USA announced plans to develop a four-door vehicle by leveraging its relationship between Daimler AG and Renault-Nissan, the conglomerate with whom Daimler committed in early 2010 to share a measure of vehicle architecture, engines and procurement costs.

“It’s gone. We canceled it yesterday,” Mr. Pordon said of the four-door project. “Mercedes-Benz obviously won’t have a Nissan-built vehicle in its product lineup.” Mr. Pordon did say, however, that he believed a Smart-branded project between Mercedes and Renault-Nissan would go forward at a later date.

Penske Cuts Ties to Smart USA, Mercedes-Benz Steps In - NYTimes.com

1 - 20 of 41 Posts