Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
17,384 Posts
So the Penske car is dead but who knows what MBUSA might think up. Rebadge the A200 as an upper level smart???

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
I think the Smart line could really usea four door Smart. It would be in the Nissan Versa and Chevy Aveo category. Perhaps Mercerdes will expand the Smart line the way BMW expanded the Mini line.

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
smart needs to stop making stupid concepts cars, that lead no where. They need to put a wide range of cars on the market, for everyones needs. Mini and Fiat are doing it. Maybe they will come around in 2014 year.

The A Class is nothing but a $$$$$$ Honda Fit, or Ford Fiesta. Can MB make a B segment car, in that price range?

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
smart needs to stop making stupid concepts cars, that lead no where. They need to put a wide range of cars on the market, for everyones needs. Mini and Fiat are doing it. Maybe they will come around in 2014 year...
Since smartville is almost a capacity, it's unlikely :(

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
The new vehicles don't have to be built at smartville. Mini and Fiat are building cars all over the world. The Japenese and Koreans are too!!! 80% of what capacity, and just one slow selling model at the present. smart really needs to expand it model range, to survive.

·
Super Moderator
28,705 Posts
In fact, the upcoming forfour will be built in Slovenia, alongside its Renault counterpart. Keep in mind, those extra models almost killed the whole smart brand in the mid-2000s; I'm sure smart/Daimler will be watching closely to see how the forfour does before adding a third model. :)

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
smart Fortwo is handily outselling the only real competition it has, in the iQ. smart appears to have learned from it's mistakes with the Forfour and Roadster. Slow and steady ...

smart got nearly 10 years out of the first design and some people are up in arms that the 451 hasn't been replaced after just 4 or 5. I do not understand that one bit. I am willing to let M-B and smart recoup some of their design costs on the 451.

·
17,384 Posts
If I recall, the forfour and roadster were both failures due to extremely rushed development and poor timing with launches.

If they spent their sweet time developing and planned the launches better they could easily have a wider range of vehicles.

I mean look at Mini, even though the Countryman is just too much (ugly and useless), they're still selling tons of them! I'm even seeing more and more of the coupes as well!

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
I mean look at Mini, even though the Countryman is just too much (ugly and useless), they're still selling tons of them! I'm even seeing more and more of the coupes as well!
That is one of the world's big mysteries, why hideous cars sell at all. That Countryman abomination is far bigger than an Austin Maxi Landcrab (remember them?), so calling it a MINI is absurd. Don't get me started on the ridiculous "sports" version of the MINI hardtop.....

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
If I recall, the forfour and roadster were both failures due to extremely rushed development and poor timing with launches.

If they spent their sweet time developing and planned the launches better they could easily have a wider range of vehicles.

I know, when I go to the doctors office. There all over the assigned doctors parking spaces. Rich doctors like them. I do like the new 2 door Mini Pacemen. Not really small.:confused:

They should have built this car 4 years ago.

·
17,384 Posts
That was Penske's horrible idea of how to keep smartUSA afloat. They were going to import the Nissan Micra, modify the exterior to include some smart ques, and call it the next smart four seater.

What you see there is someone's photoshop of what a "smart" Micra might look like.

Don't get me wrong, the Micra is a pretty decent car (according to reviews), but not only does it not look like anything designed by smart but badge engineering is NOT the direction smart needs to go.

Badge engineering didn't work for Saturn, Oldsmobile, or Pontiac and there's no need to go that direction. Heck, it still amazes me how Lincoln is still going...

·
17,384 Posts
Nooooooo, iPhone strikes back!!! At least this time (like in a text last night) it didn't come out as a swear word... :eek:

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
Penske, sold more smart car here then MB has so far. His organization recognized the customer base. MB still has sent anything, mentioning a change of organization, about my smart car. Penske sponsored the last smart Nationals event, when his car company was hurting. I like getting greeting cards and gift cards from the Penske organization/smart. It was a nice touch showed they cared. Hello MB!!!!!!!!!!

Smart really need that 4 door car 3 years ago. To bad Penske couldn't have made it happen. Now I can wait for a rebadged French car.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
-I miss the old days of honest Penske service bays behind the smart center.
-I can't stand Mercedes Benz at all:(
-Not like you get what you paid for either. MB service staff are identical to downtown tire shops employing undocumented workers too (only the shirts are different)

·
17,384 Posts
That was the only thing I liked about Penshe smartUSA, they were heavily involved with the owners and didn't charge you through the teeth for everything.

But Penske really sucked at selling cars. No ads, "Against Dumb", and many other failures. Penske has only sold more smarts because they had all of the initial reservations and trend based sales. As soon as the trend died sales went into the toilet.

MB is still increasing sales each month.

I can't see why we can't have the sales force of MB and the customer service of Penske, that would be awesome!!! :D

21 - 40 of 41 Posts