Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I’ve got an 09’ FourTwo with 20000 on the clock and just recently the clear plastic coating on the black roof, above the drivers side is bubbling. Like it’s peeling from the roof gutter edge.
Is this the start of rust ? I don’t know if the roof is metal or plastic .
And should I be worried about this plastic coating / film lifting up ?
Do I cut the often bit off, pull the whole lot off, stick it down, sell the car, see a mechanic ?
You can tell I’m not really mechanical !!
any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I believe the roof is some sort of plastique. Your can replace the roof, not sure where can you find a new one these days, and in a few years, give or take, it will peel again.
Another option is to sand it and then you can either paint it or vinyl wrap it.
Hi everyone, I’ve got an 09’ FourTwo with 20000 on the clock and just recently the clear plastic coating on the black roof, above the drivers side is bubbling. Like it’s peeling from the roof gutter edge.
Is this the start of rust ? I don’t know if the roof is metal or plastic .
And should I be worried about this plastic coating / film lifting up ?
Do I cut the often bit off, pull the whole lot off, stick it down, sell the car, see a mechanic ?
You can tell I’m not really mechanical !!
any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you.

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
I would guess by bubbling, you have a Pure with the vinyl roof (not the panoramic roof) My 2009 had he same issue. I ended up peeling as much off as I could and using a wrap over it. turned out great for a home job! I would take it to a shop as they can do a better job and have the right tools. A wrap only lasts about 5 years or so, I would guess the same for the roof material MB used.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.