Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all of you in the USA!

I’m really excited about becoming a member of your community! A few months ago I became the proud owner of a 2015 Smart Electric TwoforTwo. Even though it has traveled almost 60,000 miles and had two previous owners, it’s in almost new condition.

My name is Robert and I’m 68 years old. I have lived in many different countries, including the US, Canada, Australia and for the last several years, France. Recently I moved into a new home bordering a sand dune on the Atlantic coast, a few hours
hours south of Bordeaux. There is plenty of wind here, particularly in the winter and lots of ? sun, sand and salt all year long....Grapes grow on the property and there’s even a small olive tree.....migratory birds fly up and down the coast heading to and from Africa.
So my Smart and I and my dog are living in a real natural paradise.

I’m waiting for Mercedes Finance to send me my rental contract for their battery and in the meantime, I’m looking for tips and all the help I can get from fellow enthusiasts like you! I was going to put a trailer hitch on it to pull a lightweight trailer but I believe the it may cause problems with the battery. The previous owner has requested an assignment and I’m waiting for the new contract to arrive. Installing a trailer hitch may void the contract and that would be a disaster! I’m looking for advise and accessories to keep it in NEW condition for the next 100 years....

I don’t think that Mercedes would have a problem with a rooftop carrier or a bike rack.....I had a collapsible rooftop tent on a 4x4 Toyota Hilux for my travels in Africa....that would be a hoot ?for the Smart and my dog and I !!

Seriously, I’d love to take it around the ? world....I just need to find a long extension cord!

Anyway, all the years of traveling and old age have left me a bit daft.... Paul Simon wrote a song about being “ still crazy after all these years” I guess I am too.....

Please don’t take anything I’ve written too seriously as I don’t..... Is there a similar club here in Europe? I’m looking forward to hearing from fellow enthusiasts!!!

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,634 Posts
Hi Robert and welcome to SCoA!! I won't be able to give you much info on the electric smart as my almost 11 years experience is with a gas smart. There are several members here that own the ED and most seem to really love them. One of our moderators even owns two EDs.

Several members here tow small utility trailers, but to my knowledge, they are using the gas smart. I have not heard of anyone towing with an electric smart. I am sure some of the ED members will chime in soon to help you with your questions. Again, thanks for joining this great little forum and enjoy your time here. George.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info and warm welcome, George

I hope to learn many things here on the Forum and it’s my guess that Electric Smart owners are in a minority....

Hopefully I will connect with them for questions concerning my battery and BAP in Europe, specifically, maintance warranty and replacement issues.

But I’d like to purchase a rooftop carrier and a bike rack that are durable and of excellent quality! Plus accessories to preserve the interior....floor mats, seat covers, etc.

My dog takes up all the space in the rear and he loves it....

Thanks again, George

·
3,634 Posts
You may want to take a look at Smart Madness, a forum vendor here. They have locations in California and Texas. They stock lots of parts and accessories for smart as well as Fiat. They offer both an all weather rubber floor mat and a carpeted floor mat. I am not sure on the seat covers, but I have seen several brands and styles on E Bay. On the roof top rack, I am not sure of the attachment because the smart does not have drip rails. I seem to remember seeing some pics of smarts with the roof top rack, but not sure of the brand. If available, Google will find it for you.

Since you have a dog, Smart Madness also offers a cargo liner in either rubber or carpet. Weather Tech also offers a nice set of floor liners for the smart, but they are kind of expensive. Good luck in your searches. Take care, George.

·
3,634 Posts
I just remembered. Smart used to offer a really nice bike rack that bolted to the rear bumper using the pre drilled holes in the rear facia. Just pop out the black plugs in the bumper and you are ready to install. I am not sure if smart still offers it since they folded their tent in the US last year. You could probably fine a used one on E Bay. Time for bed, almost 2am here. Talk to you soon.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Good morning Robert,
Welcome to the SCoA forum.
Your enthusiasm shines bright, it’s good to see this in others who treasure their smarts.
I’m a motor head, I don’t know much about EV vehicles, but with that said, it’s only one part of your entire package. For the most part your 451 contains much commonality between the gas version so through searches for questions and visiting the various groups you will find some great information in the forum and people willing to share it.
Enjoy your Fortwo, and keep smiling because smiles are contagious!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Charlie aka Motörhead! Thanks
for your note regarding my new Smart 453.....I wish it was solar powered then I wouldn’t have worry about a battery and smog and all that stuff!

In Australia, Shell sponsored a race all the way across the country (think LA-NYC) for solar powered vehicle’s vehicles...maybe they still do.

It gave them the front seat for buying up all the patents for THEIR future prosperity.....Cheers

·
Registered
158 Posts
.I wish it was solar powered then I wouldn’t have worry about a battery and smog and all that stuff!
It’s so heartfelt to come across like minded folks who care about the future of our small planet. It’s all we have, so let’s take care of it.
I imagine you’re from Europe, our favorite place to visit. We have many friends in Germany (Dreisbac) outside of Frankfurt. We have traveled extensively throughout Europe, but unfortunately my condition (the big C word) is keeping us grounded, but I have hope and faith that I will beat it, so we can continue our quests and journey together.
Post some pictures of your 453 if you can as it’s always a pleasure to see others babies.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Charlie.... I know you’re going to beat it! Spending a few minutes on the Good News Network every day might give you a good shot of positive energy.

I took the photo a few minutes ago....No makeup....just for you!

Cheers!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Lol, I’ve been called worst lol, it’s Paula you’re talking too. My Husband as much as I love and adore him can’t turn a screw lol, seriously I’m the wrench/Motörhead of the family.
In either case thank you so much for the kind words of encouragement, goes a long way in remaining with positive thoughts...and keep those updates coming.
Warmest regards,
Paula

·
Super Moderator
1,649 Posts
You've got a 451 not a 453. The electrics in the US were 451's through 2016.

Welcome to the forum. Got a lot of good info and knowledgeable folks here.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 19,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 16,500 miles

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Len,

I’m located in France....and everything I read on European websites indicates that 2015 models are 453’s.

What’s the difference between the two? How can I tell for sure?

And George mentioned that “they folded their tent last year” What does that mean?

Thanks for your insight!

·
Registered
158 Posts
My 451 is a 2015 manufactured in May of of 2014. January 2015 and the 453 is not ready to be sold, so they continue to sell their 451s as 2015 models. All indications are that the 451 was not sold under the year 2015 when in fact they were. It becomes a hassle at times trying to get parts because retailers must be reading the same paperwork believing it’s a 453 and not a 451! Must be a corporate glitch of some sort.
Paula

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
314 Posts
"What’s the difference between the two? How can I tell for sure?"

check out the smart electric drive history on wikipedia: Link :)

Also, the BAP program has gone away here in the US, I am surprised it still exists in France.

·
3,634 Posts
Hi Robert. The nomenclature can get a bit confusing near the end of the 451 model run. The 2016 gas model in the US was called a 453, but they held over the 451 model for electric one more year. I am pretty sure the EU got the 453 one year before we did.
As to my "folding their tent" comment, here is what I meant. Smart had left the US and Canadian market as of the end of 2019. Last year they sold any remaining gas powered smarts and then sold only ED's. At the end of 2019, they stopped importing any smarts to US and Canada. From this point forward, smart will only sell ED models in EU and other selected markets. In fact, they have been sold to Geeley (I think) a Chinese company who will market a new Ed in a couple of years. The 453 Ed will continue on until the new model is released. I know it can be a bit confusing when someone tells you their 453 is the same year as your 451, but things have always been a bit of a mash up with smart. To me, that's half the fun of owning a rather unique vehicle. Again, it's good to have you as a new member. Take care, George.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Greetings George,

My registration papers indicate the date it was intitally registered on the 19th of March, 2015.
So even though I'm a lot closer to Smartville than you are, it's safe to assume it was made in 2014.
So it's a 451 or a 453 or a ???

Mercedes knows what model it is...as it does have a VIN.

I purchased it from a private party in the last week of November (two months ago) on the assumption that I was assuming their BAP 65 Euro monthly battery rental. I was also told by the seller that the price would never increase and the battery would be replaced free of charge if it fell below 80% capacity. He said that he was told it by Mercedes that it would take up to three months for the transfer to take place and he had paid for the rental in advance until the end of this month. I spent hours on the phone with Mercedes in Amsterdam, London and Paris.....I was asked to send them lots of documentation which I did immediately. On subsequent calls I got confirmation they had all the required documents I sent them. The new battery lease is prepared by Mercedes Finance. Why three months??!! If I went to a dealer and wanted to buy a new Merc with them doing the all the financing, if it took Mercedes Finance 3 months to approve a loan, they wouldn't be in business! Have I just answered my own question?

I know all about the VW emissions scandal and now I'm reading about the Mercedes BAP scandal in the US....after I've just bought a used one here!

Again, thanks everyone....still smiling!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
"What’s the difference between the two? How can I tell for sure?"

check out the smart electric drive history on wikipedia: Link :)

Also, the BAP program has gone away here in the US, I am surprised it still exists in France.
Hi Jeb, I still haven't seen a contract.....Was the consensus with the EV owners that they wanted to keep it? I paid a measly sum of 5000 Euros for my car....What does it cost for a new battery in the US?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts